What do I do if my car was stolen and they got on a high-speed chase and ran and the cops think it was me? 5 Answers as of April 07, 2013

Today I woke up from my nap to find my car was stolen. The car is in a friend’s name so he makes the police report. The cops show up at his house then my mom’s house looking for me because whoever stole my car went on a high speed chase and the detective told my mom he identified me as the fleer and that they found a bunch of drugs in the car. Now I am scared because my probation is violated because I moved from my mom’s house and don't live there anymore but I haven't updated my address and they think I ran from them and I had all these drugs in the car. I don't know what to do because I just opened up a security company and if I even go talk to the cops ill get arrested and I'm on 4 years joint suspension so even with the violation I'm doing 4 years. The next day I spoke to my probation officer and told her the situation and she asked if I reported the car stolen and I told her that I had the owner of the car report it and she just said if anything changes over the weekend to give her a call. Also I purchased legal shield and spoke to an attorney Friday but they can't contact the police for me until Monday or Tuesday when my membership finalizes.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Legal shield? They are not going to represent you in court.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/7/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Well do not make any statements to the police and follow the advice of your attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/2/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 4/2/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
If apprehended before your membership in Legal Service kicks in, keep silent. Do not answer any questions until you have the opportunity to speak with an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/1/2013
Epstein & Conroy
Epstein & Conroy | David B. Epstein
There is nothing you can do. If you had a friend report the car stolen to cover you for a crime you committed, I suppose you just have to hope they do not have sufficient evidence to charge or convict you. If you are truly not guilty, then, like any other case, initially you should hope they do not charge you, however, if they do you would plead not guilty and challenge the evidence. Whatever you do, whether or not you are guilty , make no statements to the police, and if you can afford it, retain an attorney immediately, ideally, even before you are arrested.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/1/2013
Click to View More Answers: