What do I do if my bankruptcy was discharged in September 2013 but a debt collector still lists my accounts with them as open accounts? 8 Answers as of May 11, 2016

I have written twice and asked them to change them, but never heard back. What is my next step in getting this resolved? I am trying to repair my credit and start over but I am not getting far with this company.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
You need to dispute this with the credit bureau that is reporting it. They have 30 days to look into it. That is the first step and may correct the problem. Make sure you include a copy of your discharge order and the list of notified creditors.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/11/2016
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
If the debt was discharged, you can file a motion to hold them in contempt by the Bankruptcy Court.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/11/2016
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
The debt collector is violating the injunction which accompanies your discharge: see 11 U.S.C. sec. 524. Seeking to collect a discharged debt will usually be held to be a contempt of court. Write the collector (if you can) one polite but firm note identifying yourself, your BR case, the federal district it was in, and the date of your discharge. Tell him that unless he confirms to you that he will cease all such efforts, you will reopen your BR case and seek a contempt. Then if he does not confirm he will lay off do it.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 5/10/2016
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires you to contact the credit bureaus to correct misinformation on your credit reports before you have any right to take legal action. It is a waste of time to expect the creditor to assist you.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/10/2016
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Contact a local lawyer who handles "Fair Debt Collection Practises Act" cases. In the mean time write the "big Three" and dispute the "open" entries. Send the letter certified mail, return receipt and keep a copy for your lawyer. Enclosed a copy of your discharge. The addresses are in the attachment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/10/2016
    Novakov & Associates, PLLC
    Novakov & Associates, PLLC | LINDA S. NOVAKOV
    Either have your attorney who represented you in the bankruptcy call and explain the discharge to them; or contact the Bankruptcy Trustee's office and ask if there are any remedies against a creditor in your jurisdiction who continues to harass you for payment of a discharged debt. Before making the calls, make sure this creditor was included in your bankruptcy petition.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Replied: 5/10/2016
    Scott Goldstein | Scott Goldstein
    Get your lawyer involved and sue them for a discharge violation.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 5/10/2016
    Michael J. Duggar, P.A.
    Michael J. Duggar, P.A. | Michael J. Duggar
    Reopen case and file Motion for Sanctions if "open" case impairs your credit...implies a continued collection effort. You are also entitled to 100 words on your credit report so you could write a notation on your credit explaining the accounts were included in bankruptcy.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/10/2016
Click to View More Answers: