What do I do if my lawyer is not doing anything to help me? 36 Answers as of July 11, 2013

I have been on house arrest for over five years and he will not answer any of my calls. What should I do?

This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, if you feel your attorney is not helping you you can get another one and discharge this one.
You should hire a new attorney if court appointed, you can request a different attorney from the judge.
Hire another one. In addition if you made the lawyer money and he is not responding to your calls, you can file a complaint with the local bar association or they advise the State Bar.
Hire a new lawyer if you cant work it out by discussing it with him. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
Pay him. Money gets our attention. If you don't owe him money, and he still won't call you, simply get another lawyer.
    Your attorney may be a public defender. They sometimes have too many cases and do not return calls, especially if they cannot help you or do not think your questions are important. They never return calls from relatives. If you have a retained attorney they will be more receptive to your repeated calls and demands for a return call. Write a letter suggesting that you will complain to the Bar Association if they do not return your calls. That will get their attention as they do not want trouble with the Bar Association or a complaint on their record. You can also call the office three times a day until the lawyer gets tired of the messages and finally picks up the phone.
    Hire another one or complain to the court.
    The Chastaine Law Office
    The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
    If you hired him, fire him and get new counsel. If he was appointed file a Marsden motion and request appointment of new counsel.
    Your attorney works for you and like any employee, if you are not happy with him/her, you can fire your attorney and hire a new attorney.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    House arrest for five years sounds wrong. You should take advantage of a free consultation from another attorney to provide them details of your case.
    Five years? Is that your original sentence? If so, it is unlikely that attorney still represents you. If you have a copy of your Judgment and Sentence, please give me a call and I'll see if I can make any sense of this.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    Fire him and get a new lawyer if you are not satisfied.
    Hire a new lawyer who will be responsive. House arrest for five years sounds very unusual and outrageous. In what state are you in and what are the charges? Has your case been finalized yet? If not, why not? What are the charges, state or federal? These are all important questions that need to be answered. Good luck.
    With as much time as has passed, he may no longer be your attorney on this case. An attorneys representation does not last forever, usually the attorneys responsibility for representation ceases when the case is resolved in court. When a person is on probation or other sanction such as house arrest, usually the attorney is no longer responsible for the case. You should consult with a different attorney since your previous one is not responding.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    If you are a current client of this attorney and are having difficulty with your case, then you should express that opinion to the attorney. If you are unable to reach a resolution then you may want to consider seeking the services of a different lawyer. You have the right to request your file from your attorney who will need to provide you with it within 24 hours at which point you will be able to seek new representation. Your other options, if you believe that there is unethical conduct involved would be to contact your state Bar Association to file a complaint. You should certainly make every attempt to reach your attorney before doing so and let them know that it is something you are considering.
    Send him a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, documenting how many calls he has not returned and whatever else you think he's done wrong. Ask that he contact you immediately and that he henceforth be responsive to your phone messages. That should get his attention! He should get concerned that your next step is going to be reporting him to the Bar Association.
    We would always recommend that you attempt to work out any issues with your own current criminal defense attorney first, before you consider electing to terminate a lawyer and hire someone else. Good luck.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    You can terminate representation if you're not happy with it, and seek a different attorney.
    Law Office of Michael Moody
    Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
    Send him/her a certified letter threatening to file a bar complaint. If he/she fails to respond, hire another lawyer and file a bar complaint.
    If your representation was in a criminal matter, the representation generally extends through sentencing. If you have further issues you will likely be required to retain new counsel or re-retain your former lawyer.
    I suggest that you make an appointment to meet with your attorney and express your concerns. If he does not address your concerns adequately you might want to consider hiring a different attorney.
    Pontrello Law
    Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
    Make an appointment to sit down and talk to him. if you paid him and he is not doing anything, fire him. get another lawyer.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    If you've had charges pending for five years, you might need to find a new lawyer. But if you've been convicted and you're serving a sentence, the case is over. You might talk to another lawyer about an appeal or other attack on your conviction, but your old lawyer probably has other cases to work on.
    Contact the state bar.
    I've heard that the number one complaint to the Bar about lawyers is that they do not return calls - so you're not alone. You need to report it to the California Bar. Go to their website. Follow the instructions for reporting your complaint.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    Of course, you need to retain a new lawyer. Any lawyer who will not return his clients calls is a lawyer that is likely too busy for you. Contact the local bar association in your city and they will refer you to another lawyer who might be able to help you.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    In Texas, we do not have such a thing as house arrest. But, I believe that before anyone can answer your question they would need to know if there is a charge pending against you and if so, what is the charge? Or, have you been convicted and are serving the punishment? Is your lawyer hired or appointed? Can you leave your house to go to your lawyer's office or another lawyer's office or are you required to stay in your home at all times? Seems to me that if you are not satisfied with your attorney, regardless of the current status of the case, then you can hire another attorney to represent you.
    Contact another lawyer. Why are you under house arrest. Are you awaiting trial or is it part of a sentence?
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    Hire a different lawyer.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    If you are on house arrest, you have already been sentenced. His/ her job is finished. What would you expect of him?
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    You should write him a letter and send it certified mail return receipt asking him if he still represents you and why he has not returned any calls. One of the top reasons lawyers in Florida are disbarred is for failure to communicate with their clients. I would expect that you will receive a response that will let you know if you are represented and need to look for someone else to hire.
    Is he court-appointed or retained? If he's retained then fire him immediately and hire a new one. Ask for any retainer that hasn't been used to be returned. If he is court-appointed, then consider asking the judge to appoint you another attorney as the one you have is simply not doing anything for you.
    Nelson Law Offices
    Nelson Law Offices | Greg Nelson
    Stop committing crimes.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Hire another attorney.
    Wallin & Klarich
    Wallin & Klarich | Stephen D. Klarich
    Ask the judge to appoint you another attorney and state your specific reasons. If you paid for this attorney, fire him? And hire someone else? No?
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney