What do I do if I would like to know if my mother had a will? 1 Answers as of October 14, 2015

My mother died in 2009. My brother told me she had no will but he was made her power of attorney, and her property was signed over to him, in case something happened to her.S he was diagnosed with lung cancer in May of 2009, and lived until October 2009. My brother has kept her property, which is a lot and 1 bedroom mobile in a beachfront camping resort. Did my sister and I have any rights to that property? My brother had mentioned it would be sold and divided between us, now my niece, his daughter is saying that she will inherit all of it one day. My brother also said there was no title to the trailer and it would be taken by the state. Both my sister and I feel if he wanted to keep this for his own, he should have bought us out. So much for us relying on him to have a conscience and do the right thing. Can anything be done?

Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
If your mother signed the property (meaning the title to her property) over to him then no you do not have any rights to the property. Unless you can prove coercion if your mother was not in her right mind at the time. If the title to the property is rightfully in his name, then no you do not have any rights to the property.