What do I do if I was served a summons to collect a debt? 2 Answers as of August 03, 2011

I was served with a summons to collect a debt for tax correction services. The judgment is for relief demanded in the complaint and for interest. However, we did not own the home then. We sold it the year before. I called the attorney. They said pay or tell it in court.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
Without knowing the specifics, the general and quick answer is the same thing that the attorney told you. If the subject matter is regarding taxes on your home and you are disputing owning that amount then you can contact the assessment department. Also, you can file for an abatement with the appellate tax board. If you have been sued already you have the right to file an answer. As a pro se debtor you can go to your local court and get a form. I would deny all claims against you.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/3/2011
Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
Ryan Legal Services, Inc. | Kevin Ryan
contact a bankruptcy attorney immediately to discuss your options. Most bk lawyers will discuss your case at no charge over the phone. Call and give the secretary the basic details as an intake, and the attorney should call you back (that at least is what we do at Ryan Legal Services outside of Cleveland, Ohio).
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: