What do I do if I missed the court date for my DUI? 4 Answers as of July 25, 2012

On July 17th at 1:30PM I was to appear for sentencing for my DUI case. I was fifteen minutes late and court was over. This will be my third contempt to court. I was picked up for a warrant one month ago for my second contempt to court and was released, the judge told me if I miss this court date, I'll spend my summer in jail. My question is, if I attend a walk-in for my case and have a warrant, will I be arrested in the courtroom? And are warrants issued immediately? I'm afraid to go to the courthouse for my case and then get arrested. This is the only thing on my record, and I sincerely didn't intend on being late.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
One option may be to "motion up" the case and set a court date soon. If a warrant was already issued, then you will be arrested (or you will surrender) soon anyway. It MAY be possible to convince a judge that you want to cooperate. You are restricting your own options. You may have been sentenced already.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/25/2012
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
I am sure you told the court, before, that you would not be late, yet you have been, not once, but three times. I suggest you turn yourself in immediately, it will look better to the judge if you do so voluntarily, than waiting for the police to come out and arrest you. In any case, be prepared to spend time in jail, as you have blown it, so many times before. I would suggest hiring an attorney to accompany you to the court, many judges will give you a break if you show up with counsel, who can plea with the court to show you some mercy, and perhaps avoid doing substantial jail time. Can you be arrested right there in court? Yes.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/23/2012
The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
Consult your attorney right away. Your best bet will be to re-appear in court to vacate the warrant. If you stay away from court, and don't deal with this immediately, that will indicate to the court that you are intentionally avoiding court, and your chances of a long jail stay will only increase.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/23/2012
Law Office of Ronald G. Draper | Ronald G. Draper
You have a big problem. Contact your lawyer to make arrangements for appearing in court . The sooner the better.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/20/2012
Click to View More Answers: