What do I do if I just found out I have a 9 year old Bench Warrant? 10 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I went to court today to pick up information on a 10 year old issue. When I gave my license to the clerk, he told me that I had a $5000 bench warrant out of another court for driving with a suspended license. This happened 9 years ago. My license was suspended for a short time and have had a valid one since about a year after that happened. I haven't had a problem since. I've been to court 8 years ago and not been told I had warrants. I've been pulled over and had my license run without problem. I've always thought I had no warrants and everything else was behind me. What do I do? What will they do to me? Am I looking at doing jail time for what seems to be their clerical error? I've done several background checks for work since and never had a problem.

You need to get it cleared up before they arrest you. Bench warrants don't just go away. Either have yourself or your attorney calendar with the clerk's office to clear the matter up.
A.L.A. Law Group, LLP
A.L.A. Law Group, LLP | Lauren M. Mayfield
You should speak with an attorney so that they can take proof of your valid license to the court and ask the judge to recall the warrant and any failure to appears that may have resulted from the warrant. You will not have to be present if you have an attorney go to court to recall the warrant for you so you don't have to worry about getting taken into custody on the matter.
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
Just go in, have case pulled, go to arraignment court, and it will probably go away. You could hire an attorney to make sure you don't get slammed, but I really don't think you need to. Courts understand those things, generally.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
You need to take care of this old ticket and get your license ASAP. Having an attorney can make this process go smoothly.
Call the clerk and put it on the calendar of the court that alledegly issues the Bench Warrant. Then clear it up with the judge.
    To handle a warrant, you must turn yourself into the court issuing the warrant, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a recall of the warrant and a plea bargain on the Failure to Appear charge, negotiate bail or OR, and renegotiate any outstanding charges that caused the warrant. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. If this really is a mistake, then the court will reasonably deal with correcting it. If there is a valid outstanding charge, your attorneys job is to get the court to also reasonably deal with that, after all this time being a good citizen. If this is a felony, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. If this is a misdemeanor, the attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    You are very lucky that you have not been arrested on this warrant. If there is an outstanding bench warrant as you say for $5000 the court by law must notify the DMV to suspend your license. For some reason (luck or negligence or ??) this did not happen it seems in your case and so you have been allowed to renew your drivers license. You are lucky. This doesn't happen very often. You need to retain an experienced criminal defense law firm and we can go to court for you and ask the judge to recall the warrant and release you upon your own recognizance, which means you wont have to post 5000 bail. Then we can research the facts of the case to see if the charges are valid or should be dismissed. It is not a wise decision to show up in court without a lawyer because you never know what the judge will do.
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi | Elliott Zarabi
    You are going to have to go to court, and hopefully the judge will recall the warrant for you. But driving without a suspended license you will have to still take care of that case from 8 years ago.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc.
    Bird & Van Dyke, Inc. | Mary Ann Bird
    A bench warrant means you are arrestable on sight. Please retain an attorney to clear up this issue. Good luck.
    If you go to the court that issued the warrant they will nost likely recall the warrant.