What do I do if I hired an attorney for my slip and fall case, had 2 operations but it’s been a year now and my attorney don't answer my calls? 21 Answers as of April 07, 2014

I have been promised that it was coming to an end and that was 2 months ago. No one return calls or answer my calls.

Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
1. No case can be resolved until AFTER your medical care is complete AND your attorney is able to gather ALL of the medical records and bills OR 2. Your medical care clearly exceeds the limits of insurance. What is the basis of liability?
Get another lawyer.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Consult another attorney in your area.
Slip and fall cases are, by their nature, difficult. First, you must be able to prove negligence on the part of the property owner/occupant. Negligence could be defined as the failure to use REASONABLE care; the owner is not a guarantor. To do this, you must be able to prove that the owner put the slippery substance there, or that they had prior knowledge of the hazard and failed to take care of it promptly. Second, they will claim comparative fault, meaning that you had a duty to watch where you were walking, and thus are partly at fault. The result is that most lawyers are reluctant to take a slip and fall case unless there are substantial damages, and there are at least some arguments to be made on the question of fault. In your case, you might want to write the lawyer and request a detailed status report.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
I would suggest that you fire the attorney if he/she does not return any calls. Write him/he a letter advising that if you have not heard from the law firm within 10 days you will change attorney's.
    Call his office and schedule a personal appointment, and if they hesitate in doing that. Fire him by a certified letter just saying "I have called and left numerous messages without a return call and your office refused to schedule an appointment for me to meet with you. I no longer need your services so please consider our relationship canceled." Send it by certified mail, return receipt requested and then start looking for a new attorney who will be responsive to your needs.
    Lawson & Weitzen, LLP | Steven M. Buckley
    Send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the attorney advising him/her that a failure to respond will result in their being discharged from representing you.
    Depending on the situation, a case can and often does take one or several years. Not returning phone calls, though, that's a problem. So did you call twice in two months, or every day for a week? Do this: call Monday, Wednesday and Friday of next week. If he doesn't call you by the Tuesday after that, get a new lawyer.
    You can always try and change lawyers, but before I would do that, I would call and make an appointment with the lawyer to discuss your case. Changing lawyers can cause problems with your claim. Meet with your lawyer and then decide if you need to change.
    File a complaint with the state bar and look for a new attorney.
    You should call them and tell them to send you your file. Hire a new attorney.
    Insist on communication with your attorney, and if that is impossible fire him and get a new one.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    Can you explain what caused you to fall and go over your medical treatment?
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should consider getting another lawyer. They will split the fee. You needs communication.
    Ty Wilson Law
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You should schedule an appointment to meet with your attorney and sit down and discuss your case. You should come with all the questions you have, as often times attorneys are busy, so come prepared. If you are not happy with your conversation, you can always terminate your attorney however you should seek to have all of your questions addressed so that you can make the most informed decision.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    In Michigan it is your attorneys ethical duty to keep you reasonably informed of the status/handling of your legal matter. Ask for an in person meeting as soon as possible to sit down and discuss the case with your attorney. If your attorney still refuses to take your calls/set up a meeting, you have a number of options: 1. If the attorney is not the owner/senior partner, ask the attorneys supervisor to get involved and to set up an in person meeting wherein your case is fully discussed so you are reasonably informed about same; 2. Hire an "outside" lawyer to review the file of the current lawyer to give you a 2nd opinion on whether the claim is being correctly handled; 3. File a Grievance with the State Bar of Michigan indicating your attorney is not returning your calls and not keeping you reasonably informed of the progress/status of your legal matter.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    First of all it can never be determined when a case will or should settle. If you are unsatisfied with your attorney you can always change. You should note that there is no magic time in which a case will settle. There are always variables taken into consideration in every case.
    Doroshow, Pasquale, Krawitz & Bhaya | Donald E. Marston
    Get a new attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Truth is slip and falls are not well thought of, are hard to win, and your case probably is a poor one. That would explain why your lawyer seems not to be interested but he should return your calls and he should tell you frankly what he thinks of the case. If he wont do that get another lawyer. Report your lawyer to the grievance committee. He owes you the courtesy of frank and prompt responses.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc.
    Penglase & Benson, Inc. | John Benson
    I am a firm believer that you should stay with an attorney if you feel comfortable with them. People who are injured are in pain both mentally and physically. Not only is there physical pain but there is the pain of not knowing what the future has for them. The legal and healing process are confusing and you need someone to help you steer through it. If you have confidence in your attorney, stay with them as they already know the case. If you have lost confidence then you will never truly believe what they have to say in which case it is time to look for a new attorney. Just make sure that your fee agreement does not require you to compensate the old attorney in the event that you terminate the representation.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    You can try to find another lawyer to take your case. That is an option although without knowing more about the case and the lawyer's reasons it would be difficult to advise this course of action.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa