What do I do if I have a warrant for my arrest for a missed court date? 6 Answers as of July 09, 2012

I am on formal probation in Los Angeles (Beverly Hills). I found out I have a warrant for a FTA ( progress Report). 100K bail was set. I was told by probation just to go to the clerk and they will give me options. Do I need to hire a real attorney to come with me? Will be arrested in th courthouse. Should I ask my Public defender ? Will I be able to set a additional court date in the courtroom? What is the best recourse? And does the 100K bail meant I will have to give the court 10,000$. Than you you in advance if you can help!! And I have been checking in monthly as directed by the court and paying my fines

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
If you haven't dealt with this by now, I would hire an attorney before you surrender and contact various bailbonds companies to see which would give you the best deal on their fee.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/9/2012
Dennis Roberts, a P.C.
Dennis Roberts, a P.C. | Dennis Roberts
Talk to your PD. He/she can put it on calendar and probably get the bail reduced.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/30/2012
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You better have a "real" lawyer go to court to recall the warrant for you. If it was a misdemeanor that you plead to, a lawyer can appear without you to recall the warrant. That's much better than going by yourself, where the Judge could take you in custody right then and there. A 100K bail means that pending a probation violation hearing, that's how much you have to pay in order to stay out of custody. If a lawyer can go and take care of it without resorting to a PVH, then there would be no more bail.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/29/2012
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
If you have a public defender, he/she needs to know this. Call them TODAY and they can arranged for a warrant recall. Don't delay on this. It's better to meet this out of custody than in custody. BTW, you should also call your PO and see if you can get back into his/her good graces-it will go better for you at the PV hearing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/25/2012
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
To properly handle warrants, you must turn yourself into the issuing court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and a plea bargain on the new Failure to Appear charge. You'll try to negotiate bail reduction or OR release. Yes, you could be arrested and taken into custody. You?ll try to negotiate a plea bargain or take to trial the outstanding violation and charges that caused the warrant. Turning yourself in voluntarily will result in a better outcome than being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, the attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present, and any plea bargain deal could be handled by notarized paperwork. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, and may enable you to get your probation and programs reinstated. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/25/2012
    Grant & Grant
    Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
    You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney. Based upon my vast experience, more than 25 years, It has been my experience that soon as you surrender, you will be placed on a felony probation hold and will stay in jail until bail can be posted. On posting bail, you can negotiate with the bail bondmen. Some will go as low as 6% and with a down payment and monthly payments. Ideally, you need to have a private attorney in your corner fighting for you. The Public Defender will not have the time to be aggressive for you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/25/2012
Click to View More Answers: