What do I do if I have a bench warrant? 12 Answers as of May 09, 2011

I just found out that I have a bench warrant issued in 2002. I paid all fines, restitutions, did required volunteer work all what the court asked. Why do I have a warrant for something my lawyer and I took care of along time ago? I complied with everything. And now 10yrs later that same charge appears as if I never took care of it like I am a fugitive, not right! What happened? Can you help?

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
You will need to go to court to have the warrant recalled. At that time it will become clear why it was issued and if it was an error that it can be corrected.
It would be best to hire an attorney to calendar and appear with you. It would make you look the most diligent and minimize the chances of the judge imposing some hard sanction. If you can't afford that or don't want to spend the money you will need to do that with court clerk and then appear in court and explain what you are telling me to the judge and hope that he believes you.
Of course I can help. For you to handle this, you must turn yourself into that court, with or without an attorney, and try to straighten out the record with the judge. If you really did comply with all court orders, you probably will be required to show proof to the judge. Hopefully, you have the documents needed. If not, you should try to obtain them from the programs, etc. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
Go to the court clerk and schedule an appearance. Appear and bring any court documents you might have. Do not contact the sheriff or police directly. They'll just arrest you. Court will not. Warrant remains out until you appear.
Walk into the clerk's office and ask to be put on he calendar. You should be able to take care of this then.
    You should get a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant and find out what's going on. The lawyer can appear without you, thereby lessening the chance that you will be taken in custody.
    If you are in San Diego, I can call for you (free of charge) and find out what the warrant is for. Getting a bench warrant recalled involves you appearing in person. It helps if you have an attorney. Good luck.
    Of course, a competent, experienced attorney could help you. You should calendar this matter and appear in Court. If you have any old proofs of completion of your volunteer work and receipts for fines paid, so much the better. Check with the Clerk's Office when you calendar the case and ask them the basis for the warrant, as there is probably a violation of probation. Start with the Clerk's Office, and calendar the case after that.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    Yes. I can help. However, in order to do so, more information is needed in order to accurately determine why the warrant was issued in 2002. If you completed everything you were supposed to do, then recalling the warrant and closing out the case should not be a problem. In order to advise you accurately, I would need some information about the case in order to investigate what happened. If you would like to discuss this matter in more detail, please feel free to contact me. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    You should have the warrant recalled. You can do this yourself by contacting the Criminal Court Clerks office to have the case put on the calendar. If the thought of doing that yourself is intimidating, and you can afford it, hire an attorney to have the case placed on the calendar for you.
    The first step is to verify what the bench warrant is exactly. Whether it has to do with that past charge or not. Then the next step would be to go to court to address the situation. Feel free to contact me. Regardless, I would advise at least consulting with an attorney to discuss in more detail.
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig | Evan E. Zelig
    There are many reasons why a bench warrant may have been issued, but most likely it is because the court is unaware of something you completed and is showing a condition of your probation as being unfulfilled. The best thing to do is to contact an attorney, or place the matter on the "Clear Warrant" calendar at the court where this occurred to try to resolve the matter. If you are contacted by police you may be arrested so it is best to resolve this as soon as possible.