What do I do if I get accused of stealing from my job? 1 Answers as of March 07, 2011

It was after I had closed the store down and we were getting ready to leave. We have items like side salads and parfits. I work at McDonalds. Well they are only good a few hours and we write them down and throw them away. So like most nights and like every other manager and crew member I work with and like my general manager told me was okay I took them home instead of throwing them in the garbage. I thought it was okay the next thing I know about a month later I’m getting arrested by the cops from work. And they are talking about this stuff I took after we closed not boxes of stuff or anything but all the stuff that we always have been allowed to take. I just want to know how this is okay. The tape shows me putting it in a bag and leaving at the end of the night and they fired me but my argument is for all they know I paid for whatever I took earlier in the day and took it that night before I left because people we work with but thing during their shift and then take them when they leave so why did I get fired and do I have some kind of case against them bc now I cant pay my rent or child support because they terminated me for no reason at all and no proof of anything.. Also another this is non of the cops read me my rights yet I was arrested and taken to jail in handcuffs and bailed out is any of what they just did to me legal?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
Your questions are of a civil nature, you want to sue your former employer for firing you for theft of products. From what I gather from your information, there was not enough evidence to hold you for the offense of theft, if so charged, I feel you have a fairly good chance of beating the charges on trial in court. As for the civil action, you need to consult with an attorney who handles those types of actions. You could also seek relief from the union you work with, if you are unionized, or an attorney proficient in employment law, or the state's Department of Labor in the state where you work and reside.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: