What do I do if I feel as if I am being singled out, targeted, harassed and overall treated very unfairly at work? 5 Answers as of January 22, 2013

Ever since I started working at my current job, time after time I seem to always to get a harsher punishment than everyone else that makes the same mistake or singled out for something that they have wrongfully accused me of in the first place. There are a multitude of happenings that I could describe but do not have the room for. Most recently, I was suspended for a week with no pay for something that wasn't too bad in comparison with other people making the same mistake only costing the company tens of thousands of dollars and all they got was a talking to or nothing at all. They implemented a new policy right after I had my mistake happen that if anything like that happens it’s an automatic one week unpaid suspension. I was told this when I came into work after it happened and they sent me home. After which several times the same incident happened to other people and this punishment was not carried out with them. Just tonight, I was told I had to sign a paper saying I agree to their new substance abuse policy because they had reason to believe I was doing drugs on the premises. In a company of over 45 employees, four were given this paper to sign. I asked if they had proof of me doing this, they said no they just had reason to believe I was. I haven't signed this paper because they say that what we do at home is our business. So if I sign this paper and they decide to drug test me, IF I HAD, say, smoked a certain plant that is illegal at home the night before and the test comes back positive. All they have to say is I tested positive and I am fired for smoking it on the premises. I feel I am being setup for failure at every turn. Like they are trying to fire me without having to pay me unemployment and are trying every conceivable way to either get me to quit or to have cause to fire me. I am not a problem employee. I am there every day. I am a second shift supervisor and my shift gets the most work out than any other shift. My crew are well disciplined.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Based on what you stated, you have no remedy for this treatment, even if you are being treated differently. This is entirely within the whim and discretion of the employer under EMPLOYMENT AT WILL. Georgia recognizes the doctrine of employment at will. Employment at will means that in the absence of a written contract of employment for a defined duration, an employer can terminate an employee for good cause, bad cause, a mistaken cause, or no cause at all, so long as it is not an illegal cause. Illegal causes are limited to the EEOC/Discrimination grounds: Race, Age, Sex, National Origin, Religion, Handicap: If it is not on that list, it is not protected in GA.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/22/2013
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Maybe file a complaint with the EEOC.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/22/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You have a problem and it isn't your employer. Your employer doesn't owe you anything but pay for hours worked. Unless your employer is discriminating against you based on your race, skin color, national origin, religion or gender, you can be terminated for no reason or any reason in Idaho. Quit and get a new job.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/22/2013
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
There are occasions that employees are singled out. You made a point that what you do in off hours is not their concern, which is true, as long as it does not influence your ability to perform at work. If you are engaging in drug use at home, that may be the suspiscion that they have. I would strongly encourage a change in your off hour habits to protect your job.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 1/22/2013
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
You could have a claim if the negative treatment is due to a protected class reason such as your sex, age if 40 or older, race/national origin, disability, etc. If you believe you are being illegally discriminated against, you should immediately contact an attorney or the Wisconsin Equal Rights Division and file a complaint that should be provided to your employer which could provide you with protection against and/or the basis for a retaliation complaint.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 1/22/2013
Click to View More Answers: