What do I do if I did not receive a title on my car for my bankruptcy? 19 Answers as of July 25, 2011

I have a loan on the car and the trustee asked for a copy to the title to my car, but I never got a title. What do I do?

Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
Go to the Secretary of State and pay for a duplicate.
Ray Fisher Law Offices
Ray Fisher Law Offices | Ray Fisher
Ask the lender for a copy.
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
The lender should have the title if the car isn't paid for. You can also check with DMV.
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
Request it from seller.
What do you mean by "title"? If you have a lien against the car, then the lienholder holds the title. If you're talking about the registration, contact the DMV to get a copy. You are required to carry it in your vehicle at all times in California.
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    Go to the DMV to get proper credentials and paperwork on your vehicle. They will direct you to the proper paperwork and procedures.
    Hopefully you did not make the catastrophic mistake of filing pro se. This is a question your attorney needs to address, and should have also been explained in your initial schedules. Since you apparently have no lawyer and have now apparently messed up, get one immediately.
    You do not have the title because it is held by the creditor. Bankruptcy did not change anything with regard to the car loan. You still owe whatever you owe and you will not get the title until you pay the balance. If you have not paid the car then the creditor can repossess the car at any time but you will not owe anything because of the bankruptcy case. The Trustee probably just wanted to see information about the vehicle to see if you had any equity so he could take it and sell it, pay off the balance of the loan and pay the rest to your creditors. Once the Trustee verified there was no equity to too little equity then he or she was no longer interested in the car.
    Rosenberg & Press, LLC
    Rosenberg & Press, LLC | Christopher D. Hite
    Produce the loan documentation, registration info, and any other documentation possible to show the ownership of the vehicle.
    Tucker Legal Clinic
    Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
    You car lender most likely has the original title, ask the lender for a copy for the trustee.
    Shmucher Law, PL
    Shmucher Law, PL | Ofer Shmucher
    The easiest was to get a copy of the title (even though it is not released) is to call the secured creditor and ask for the title department. They can email you a copy of what the title to provide to the trustee.
    Dan Shay Law
    Dan Shay Law | Daniel Shay
    Give The Trustee a copy of the registration showing the lien holder.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    contact lien holder
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    If you have a loan on the car you may not have the title. I would indicate that you don't have the title and provide him or her with a copy of the current registration which shows the lienholder and a copy of the most recent loan statement on the car.
    You are required to cooperate with the trustee, but you can't give him or her want you do not have. Go back and explain that you never received it.
    Notify the Trustee that you never received the Title and make written requests for the holder of the title (usually the Creditor who holds the loan on the car) to mail/fax/email a copy of the title to the Trustee.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    Go to the Secretary of State and apply for a duplicate. Some branches can give it to you instantly. The trustee has to know if you have a valid lien on your car and generally won't let you move on without getting a copy to them.