What do I do if I cannot afford bankruptcy? 3 Answers as of November 14, 2010

I cannot afford to pay for the filing and trustee fees to file for bankruptcy, and I do not know what to do. I am drowning in debt, I lost my job and have not been able to find another one, I have no one left to borrow from, and I feel like I have no options. Please help me! What can I do? Is there a loan you can take out to file for bankruptcy?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
This is a perfect time to remind everyone to consult with a professional as soon as you know you are losing income. You do not have to wait until you have nothing left to file for bankruptcy. To answer your question, you can obtain a waiver form for your filing fees to pay them in installments.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/14/2010
The Law Office of Mark J. Markus
The Law Office of Mark J. Markus | Mark Markus
There are no trustee's fees if you're filing a chapter 7 case, and you can apply to pay the court filing fee ($299) in installments or possibly even get it waived.

You can check with your local bar association to see if there are any attorneys who handle cases like this pro bono or for a reduced fee if you don't want to represent yourself.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/13/2010
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
Bob Dylan wrote that when for ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose. hat applies to your creditors, as long as you have no property or wages, your creditors don't have anything to go after. Even if you make minimum wage, your wages are not subject to garnishment. Perhaps by saving diligently, you can over time save enough to file for bankruptcy, but don't keep your savings in a bank account because that can be seized.
Answer Applies to: South Dakota
Replied: 11/13/2010
Click to View More Answers: