What do I do if I am being sued for a car accident? 1 Answers as of July 14, 2011

I was in a car accident 3 years ago. It was my fault. At the time of the accident I did not know that my license was suspended. They arrested me. I was unable to speak with the police at the time of the report and have no knowledge that the other driver sustained any injuries, as the accident was not of serious injury. At the time of the accident I was insured by High Point. A couple months later, my insurance company decided to drop me due to my license being suspended. Now, I am receiving a summons that the other driver is suing me for personal injury and mental anguish. What are my first steps in going forward? Please help! Thank you!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Coulter's Law
Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
Call the attorney listed on the top left of the first page of the complaint. Tell him/her that you are looking for an attorney and will need time to find one. It is customary to automatically grant an extension of time to answer the complaint. However, you do need to find an attorney. If the accident took place in New Jersey, the other driver may have waited too long to sue you. You need an attorney to help you defend yourself. Do not admit fault and do not agree to a quick settlement until an attorney has looked it over on your behalf. The money you will spend on an attorney will be far less than what you will pay if you agree to a quick settlement with the plaintiff.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 7/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: