What do I do if I am accused of rape? 57 Answers as of June 08, 2011

The only reason I can think of for her saying this is because I moved out and I am not helping her with bills now. There is absolutely no proof of it happening because it didn't. Her daughter called me and said "I just found out you raped my mom,don't get in contact with her anymore or I will kill you." I am not sure if she called the police. Should I do anything? Can they arest me just because someone makes an accusation like this?

No, don't do anything now until and if you're arrested. Then don't talk to the police and hire an attorney.
Yes, you can be arrested if she makes a report with police. Rape is effectively your word against hers. Not a place any man wants to be. Start documenting everything, do not contact her or her daughter, do not annoy them in any way. Separate yourself from her as much as possible.
Hire a criminal defense lawyer immediately.
These type of charges will be investigated before any charged are made. The results of the investigation will be submitted to the prosecutor for review. If the prosecutor believes the evidence is sufficient to meet the burden of proof, he can file the charges and have you brought into court to answer those charges. If this happens, you should consult an attorney to protect your rights as a defendant and to protect any defenses you may have.
Unfortunately, rape is the easiest crime in the world to allege and the most difficult to disprove.You should do nothing to try to fix this one. Leave it alone. Have no contact with the alleged victim or their family. Do not discuss this with anyone. If questioned by the police or social workers, DHR workers or anyone else do not make a statement contact an attorney if this happens.
    The Grigsby Firm
    The Grigsby Firm | Sherlock Grigsby
    As this is a very serious criminal charge with a potential for serious prison time, I would recommend you speak wit ha lawyer ASAP, and speak to no one else about this matter until it is completely resolved.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Consult with a lawyer who can specifically look into your details of the matter and can help you resolve it. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.
    You can be charged with any offense, if law enforcement has sufficient evidence to bring forth the charges. They would need evidence of intercourse, and that said act was not voluntary, on the part of the woman. This can be established by marks on the woman, and by a rape kit test performed by medical personnel at a hospital. I do not know when this happened, if a great deal of time has passed, the likelihood of charges being brought diminishes. However, if asked to go into the police for questioning, I strongly suggest you go with counsel or at least, invoke your Fifth Amendment right to remain silent.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    The accusation is certainly not enough for a conviction; but in this world, the accusation can cause a lot of problems for career, reputation, etc. Any person who is willing to make this accusation without foundation is a hazard to you. I would simply get out of her life as quickly as possible and never look back. In the meantime however, I would probably retain an attorney in case she ever reports it and you are called in for questions. In the words of a police officer that I have spoken with about legal investigations: Never talk. Retain your right to remain silent. Consult with an attorney. Anything you say to anyone, other than your attorney, can be used against you. Thanks.
    First, anyone can make a bogus claim against anyone else, however, they stand to be charged with the crime of filing a false instrument if they do and it's not true. You should immediately consult with a criminal defense lawyer who can defend you and help you preserve your rights. I suggest that without a rape kit and an immediate physical examination proving tearing of the vaginal area, etc. it is extremely unlikely that you will be charged or convicted of rape. In the meanwhile, it is best to stay away from her and her daughter. As for her daughter, if she threatened to "kill you" then that constitutes a Violation of Aggravated Harassment in NYS and you can have her arrested and/or charged with it if you wish. The best thing to do now is to consult with a local experienced criminal lawyer right away. Good luck.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    First, yes. The police can absolutely come arrest you based on someone else's accusations. Someone else claiming to be a victim is the basis of most criminal cases. Second, if the daughter continues to harass you, consider filing an order of protection (restraining order) against her. That way you have some documentation of the threats, which can help show that there are certainly two sides to this story. Third, if there has not been a police report filed yet, there may be nothing you can do to address the criminal charges. Once a police report has been filed, you are often able to call and find out the status (i.e. has it been referred to the prosecuting attorney yet). Fourth, should you be arrested and questioned, you have a decision to make. You could tell the cops your side of the story and hope they believe you and drop the entire thing. That is the most tempting route, and that is what many people do. However, your statements will likely be recorded (with or without your knowledge), and any little minor discrepancies can make you look like a liar. Ultimately all of these statements can be played for a jury. Very, very rarely does it help your situation to tell your side of the story. Your other option is to say nothing. Granted, it may make you look guilty in the eyes of the police. But who cares? The police will have nothing to give the prosecutor, and nothing to play for the jury. It is a jury that convicts you, not the police. If you feel you must say something, keep it very brief. Something along the lines of "she was my girlfriend, we broke up, she is mad at me right now. I never raped her. I won't say anything else and I want a lawyer." The less you say the better. The more you give them, the more they can twist things around. If you have any further questions, feel free to call my office.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    This is a very serious situation which is totally inappropriate to attempt to answer in this forum. You need to retain legal counsel now. You need to understand that you may, very soon, be falsely accused of a major felony, but there are steps you can take NOW to prevent this. However, you need to understand that a lawyer such as myself is going to charge you $400.00 an hour, but it will be the best money you ever spend.
    Lawsmith, The Law Office of J. Scott Smith
    Lawsmith, The Law Office of J. Scott Smith | J. Scott Smith
    Yes, if you are accused and the accusation is reported to the police and they investigate, you could be charged with rape. You have the right to remain silent. Use it. And call an attorney.
    I strongly suggest the you contact and retain a criminal defense attorney immediately. Second, there is no need to discuss anything with a cop, if one appears, without an attorney.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    Yes they can arrest you based upon an accusation, happens all the time. Get a lawyer and don't, whatever you do, speak to the police under any circumstances. It is never a good idea and you only dig yourself in deeper. Call an attorney in your area who specializes in criminal defense. He or she can contact the police for you and, if necessary, negotiate an interview or the circumstances for you to speak to them or testify before the grand jury. Just don't start talking to anyone (this includes the "victim" or her family) without a lawyer.
    The longer they wait the harder it will be to proof. They can arrest you with just her word, be careful because they can also record you and saying sorry for a crime can be evidence of guilt. I would not talk with the cops and tell they you want a lawyer!
    The best advice that I can give is to hire an attorney to advise you after sharing the details with the attorney. You should NOT make any statements to anyone about this because these statements could be used against you later. You should NOT speak with an investigating officer about this, because the officer's job is to get you to incriminate yourself. Any explanation you give will not exonerate you. At best, your statements can be neutral. Therefore, you should not consent to questioning. CSC 1st is a life offense. You need to retain an attorney to attempt to avoid any charge and to avoid any bad results I hope that this was helpful
    Law Office of Michael Moody
    Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
    You should retain a lawyer immediately. Rape carries sentence of 25 years to life in prison with no hope of parole. The only evidence it takes to convict is that the jury believes the accuser's allegations. Please take this seriously!
    First, you should exercise your right to remain silent. Make no statements regarding hte allegation to police or any other person. Again, if you are contacted by law enforcement, you should retain counsel and make no statements unless or until advised to do so by counsel. It would seem a difficult case to make for any prosecutor given the delay in reporting absent some inculpatory statement from you.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    If someone formally accuses you of rape and files a report with the police then you are very much at risk of being arrested. You should hire an attorney as soon as possible to determine whether or not charges have been filed against you and to determine whether or not some sort of settlement can be reached before they are. The sooner you begin working on your defense the better. Because of the very serious potential penalties associated with rape charges this is not something you should attempt to handle on your own. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    This is obviously a serious allegation. If you are contacted by the police, don't make any statements whatsoever. You should have the number of a good attorney that you can call if there is an investigation into this rape allegation.
    You should hire an attorney if you do get charges filed against you.
    You should contact and hire an experience criminal law specialist immediately.
    Law Office of Corey D. Bryan
    Law Office of Corey D. Bryan | Corey D. Bryan
    Short answer, is yes; if they have 'probable cause' to believe you may have committed the offense; they can arrest you. Someone making an accusation is enough for that probable cause a majority of the time as scary as that is. It is always a good idea to get a lawyer involved as early on in the ball game as possible so I would indeed contact an attorney to discuss this situation. If contacted by law enforcement for questioning do not answer any questions without an attorney present. Just tell them you want an attorney and they have to stop trying to question you.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    Save all documentation regarding bills and timing. Collect witnesses names and addresses of those people who have seen you with her, or who can vouch for your character. There are often no direct witnesses to sexual assaults. In NH there is no requirement for corroboration, so yes a witnesses testimony is all that is needed for a conviction. Whether or not the police have been contacted, I would be very concerned about the allegation and take steps to try to preserve proof of a motive for her to fabricate, the bills. I would also gather names and contacts for potential witnesses. It is also very important that you not speak to the police or make any statements. If you are charges you will also want to get the best attorney you can in your area. I would strongly suggest that you get an attorney that handles exclusively criminal defense, belongs to state and national criminal defense organizations and has the best reputation in you area. Good luck.
    It is very important that you retain and consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible as to all your rights and options. This is, as you must know, a very serious offense which carries with it up to life in prison as a maximum potential sentence. So, retain a criminal lawyer as soon as possible! Good luck!
    Charges can be brought if there is probably cause to believe that a crime was committed and you committed it. Probably cause is a very low standard of proof in the law. At this time, there is nothing that you can to that will help. Talking to the police is not a good idea. I would contact a lawyer for advise. If charges are brought, for there to be a conviction, the prosecutor would have to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. It sounds like there is a good defense. Again, a lawyer may be able to help you and will be able to provide good advise.
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    Yes, they can and will arrest you if a woman says you raped her. If you live in Georgia you can record telephone conversations if you are part of that conversation (a lawyer can give you more details on that exactly). You may want to be prepared to record phone calls if the woman calls you. She may say things that would show she is making this up. Likewise, every time you speak with her or her daughter you need to assume that the call may be recorded by them. So don't say anything that could be considered an admission of rape. You should also consult with a criminal defense lawyer to prepare for the legal storm that may be upon you soon.
    According to your summary the woman that you were living with told her daughter that you raped her and the daughter called and told you to stay away or she will kill you. The act of making a death threat on the phone is a crime called Aggravated Harassment which is a misdemeanor. Rape is a violent felony that could land you in jail for 25 years. The average sentence for rape is 5 years for a stranger and 1-3 years for a girlfriend if there were no injuries, but it could be a lot more if the judge thinks you are dangerous or that you lied at trial. You state that you are innocent and the motive is that you moved out and did not help with the bills. "Hell has no fury as a woman scorned" is the old saying and some women tell their girlfriends or daughters an exaggerated version of the story or cry rape to hurt your reputation, get even, or to punish you for a perceived injustice such as abandonment or unfaithfulness. "Men are lunatics and women are idiots", is another saying. Men commit rape, molest children, rob liquor stores, shoot and stab people, start wars and have been raping and pillaging anything in sight for thousands of years. Women (some women) gossip, use lies and treachery to get their way, and falsely accuse men to get even with them. Not all men are violent and not all women are vindictive, but you don't want to piss either of them off if you can avoid it. She has not yet charged you with rape, she has just told her daughter that you did it. Her daughter foolishly believed her mother and then committed a crime in response to the revelation. Her daughter may call the police or it may just go away. If I were you I would send her a check for the bills you owe and try to avoid talking to either of them. If you have the daughter arrested you risk her telling the police about the allegations and prompting an investigation. If you inserted your penis into her vagina without her consent or after she said no then you are guilty of rape. If she was too drunk to consent and you had sex with her you could also be convicted of rape. Unless you talk to the police and admit consensual sex there is almost no chance you will be convicted at trial, especially if she waits weeks to report it to the police and did not try to fight you off. Let this be a lesson to you, treat women with respect and pay your debts or you will feel their wrath. Women make thousands of false complaints to the police, and they make true complaints and then lie and try to drop the charges because they regret getting him in trouble and want the abuser back. They get beat up by men and then insist it was their fault and refuse to show up in court. In 27 years I have seen thousands of women who make poor decisions in men and then don't have the sense to leave them even after being beaten, cheated on, or given STD's by the losers they choose to be with. It is a sad situation and is more often found among the poor and uneducated. Intelligent, mature, affluent women don't date drug addicts, criminals, abusers, and they leave deadbeats, cheaters, and liars. Poor women who are immature and have low self-esteem make poor decisions and are victims of abuse by violent and manipulative men who use them, abuse them, and then leave them and their children for another foolish woman who is willing to listen to their lies. Good Luck...contact an attorney if the police call you and never talk to the police no matter what they promise or threaten, they are liars and will manipulate you into making admissions because the courts allow them to do so.
    The Law Office of Mark Schamel
    The Law Office of Mark Schamel | Mark E Schamel
    They can absolutely arrest you based on a "credible" allegation. You should hire a lawyer immediately and get information and witnesses together to prepare a defense and possibly go to a prosecutor or detective proactively. The sooner you hire counsel the better. Much easier to handle this before a charge is filed.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Yes. You should make no statements to the police. Prepare to be arrested and bonded out of jail. Get counsel if the arrest occurs. Your lawyer needs to be the one to communicate with the police, not you. If the police contact you prior to arrest, hire a lawyer to communicate with them. Do not talk to the police. Stay well.
    Law Office of Mark A. Chmelewski, PS
    Law Office of Mark A. Chmelewski, PS | Mark A. Chmelewski
    You need to contact and retain an attorney to represent your interests promptly. They can accuse a defendant of anything, the ultimate issue is can the State prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    If someone has made an accusation of rape against you, you should hire an attorney immediately. When the police come to interrogate you, you should remain silent and ask to call your attorney whom you have already hired. You can also speak to you attorney with regard to the specifics of the case, before the police start their investigation, and have your investigation proceeding already. Don't wait until they interrogate and arrest you.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Have you been officially charged with a crime? Have the police even tried to contact you? They will need some sort of evidence to proceed with criminal charges and one person's word isn't good enough. If you are charged, seek out an experienced criminal attorney immediately. Don't agree to anything or talk to the police or anyone about the case without consulting with a lawyer first. Also, if someone is making death threats to you over the phone, that is a crime. Report it to the police. You may even be able to seek a protective order against her.
    It's possible. Rape is an extremely serious allegation. Hire a good lawyer before you do something foolish, such as talk to DA investigators and incriminate yourself.
    Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC
    Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC | Lisa Mulligan
    Unfortunately, it takes very little for a rape allegation to turn into a criminal charge. I can't say if they'll arrest you or not, but if there is an investigation, I strongly suggest that you tell the cops that you'll decide whether or not to talk to them after you have a chance to speak with a lawyer. Even the most innocent answers to police officer questions can get misconstrued or misquoted, so the less you say without a lawyer, the better. Good luck!
    They would have to investigate first. If the police contact you, say nothing and call my office immediately to consult.
    CAN they arrest you? Of course, if she files a complaint. If that happens, What can you do? Hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense, other than the advice to exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. That includes on this or any other web site or public forum. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Retain an attorney. Do not say anything to anyone.
    Law Offices of Steven R. Decker
    Law Offices of Steven R. Decker | Steven Decker
    You can always be arrested, however, your case will be improved if you remain silent and don't add any additional evidence to the prosecution by attempting to talk to the police in an effort to explain yourself as most certainly your words will be twisted.
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
    They can arrest you based on a complaint if she went to the police. That is a very difficult situation to be in. If the police come to speak with you, bring you to headquarters or arrest you, DO NOT say anything. Do not waive your rights. Insist on speaking to an attorney. You may want to consider speaking with and having an attorney retained prior to this happening so you are prepared if it does. Of course, if she hasn't gone to the police, you will be stressed out about this and nothing will happen. Feel free to call me for a no-charge consultation.
    Law Office of Michael Brodsky
    Law Office of Michael Brodsky | Michael Brodsky
    It is useful to have an attorney representing you pre-charge in sexual assault cases. An attorney maybe able to avoid a charge altogether or at least a voluntary surrender which avoids the arrest at work or the midnight knock on your door. Most importantly, a person accused of a serious crime should never submit to questioning by law enforcement unless advised to by an experienced criminal defense attorney. The right to remain silent is there for a reason and criminal defendants rarely help themselves by submitting to questioning. And immediately requesting an attorney following arrest should stop all further questioning.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    If you can hire counsel, do so. Having counsel at this stage might head things off. If not, the court will appoint counsel if you're charged. Regardless, don't talk to the police or anyone else. Don't tell your side of the story. Don't explain. Don't talk to the alleged victim or her daughter, even to say you're sorry. Don't write in your diary or post on Facebook. No kidding. Not a word to anyone, except your lawyer. If the police come to see you, say "I don't want to talk to you. I want a lawyer." Repeat until they go away or arrest you. Don't agree to talk to them to avoid being arrested; would you prefer a night in jail now or ten years starting in a month?
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    Can they? YES. Will they, who knows. How long ago does the person claim the rape was? The longer the less likely the police can find any physical or forensic evidence. If you know when she claims this happened, see if you have an alibi and try to firm it up. Were you somewhere there was surveillance? You should get it or get a lawyer to do so. Were you on the phone? Get the record to prove it. Has the girl said anything about it in a text, facebook, etc.? If yes, print it out. I had a similar case where a girl claimed her ex kidnapped and robbed her. We proved it was b-s and the police locked the girl up for making a false report.
    Law Office of William S. Smith
    Law Office of William S. Smith | William S. Smith
    You should not discuss this matter with anyone but an attorney. You must contact a criminal defense attorney immediately and follow his or her advice. And, yes, there mere accusation itself, even absent corroborating evidence like forensic/trace evidence, etc., is generally sufficient under the law to constitute probable cause to arrest you. Therefore, it is absolutely imperative that you contact and retain an attorney immediately.
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC | Charles R Shaw
    Make no statements to anyone without advice of counsel. If it results in a criminal charge hire an attorney at once.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    Immediately contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to thoroughly evaluate your case. It is impossible for you to get any sort of accurate response to a rape allegation on a forum like this. If their is any opportunity to better your situation at an early phase of the process then you really need a lawyer to start fighting for you ASAP. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin | Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    This is a very serious matter that cannot be casually answered in a blanket e-mail. I am an attorney in Santa Clara County. You need to discuss the whole case with an attorney. Cases this serious should not be casually discussed on a Q&A Message Board. There is not a simple generic answer.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    If this accusation arose in another state, please contact a licensed attorney in the relevant state. You are not required to do anything unless and until you receive a notice to come to court, or are arrested. You can also contact an attorney to provide the full details and determine if one should be hired to perform an investigation for you. If you are concerned that the allegations will affect your job/reputation, etc., a lawsuit is a possibility as well. Legally, until you are charged or arrested, you do not have a duty to act.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    Anyone can accuse you of a crime; however, the police must conduct a thorough investigation before making an arrest. This is a very serious accusation, so the police will conduct a full investigation, which includes interviewing you. If the police want to question you I highly recommend speaking to an attorney first.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Jeremy Geigle
    You should contact an attorney immediately. Do you need an attorney? YES!
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    Yes, you can be arrested based just on an accusation. Such accusations are very dangerous and malicious, I would suggest that you meet with and hire an attorney right away in order to make sire you're as best protected as you can be.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney