What do I do if a detective is questioning me about a robbery? 10 Answers as of April 23, 2013

I nanny for a home and their house was robbed. I was with my sister that morning so I have a witness. I didn't go to work all week because I was going to quit. That Friday her house was robbed I decided to text her to come into work and she said she didn't need me. So I made plans with my sister. A detective called me asking about the crime. The lady I nanny for said they would be calling everyone who knows the alarm code which is a lot of people. The detective said its odd how I wanted to come into work the morning they were robbed. I had no idea they were robbed until she called and told me. The detective called me and asked if I have the alarm code to anyone and if I did it. I obviously said no. I have a 18 month daughter I'm so worried about. I'm not a robber. I'm a young girl and never was in trouble before. I'm losing sleep over this. Did he call me just because I knew the alarm code?

You are a suspect.
You had the alarm code, you were present on or about the time the theft occurred, and had access to the stolen property. That is why suspicion is concentrated on you. I would advise bringing a lawyer with you to any questioning requested by the detective, so you do not get your words screwed up when explaining things to the officer.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
He called you in because he is investigating the robbery and you are a suspect. You need to retain criminal defense counsel. It is smart that you are asking these questions, but no lawyer can tell you that you have nothing to worry about. You should not trust the police in this situation-they often make innocent mistakes and once in a while they engage in misconduct and file false charges on purpose. This is why it is important for you to retain a lawyer.
Yes and you should refuse to talk with him if you do not have an attorney. It is your right not to talk with him.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Remember that anything you say or write may be used against you in evidence. An attorney can assist you in deciding whether to speak or not. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
    Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
    Get a lawyer.
    Michael K. Cernyar, Esq. | Michael K. Cernyar
    Not much you can do about it now. The people who talk the most in these matters generally are the people who are charged because they provide the most information, You can deny it all you want and your words will be turned, twisted and used against you. So the next time the detective comes around let him know that on the advice of your attorney you are not allowed to speak to the detective without your attorney present. If the detective asks who your attorney is then ask for his business card or contact info so your attorney can contact him. Then go get an attorney.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    See my essay to criminal suspects.
    Same advise as last time, lawyer up and do not speak with anyone, especially the authorities, with counsel.
    Ever heard of the right to remain silent.