What do I do after receiving an immigration approval notice from USCIS? 4 Answers as of July 18, 2011

My parents are living in California. I have received my immigration approval notice from USCIS. As a Canadian, I can come to USA for a visit without a visa. So, may I come to the city where my parents are and proceed the landing process as a new immigrant in the city's local USCIS office? Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
More information is needed to determine what immigration category you are in. Are your parents permanent residents or citizens? Are you over or under 21? Married or unmarried? You have completed the first stage and the second stage depends on when your Priority Date is current. Look at your approval Notice an advise what is the "Priority Date" (usually the date the I-130 was received at the Service center.) Assuming the Priority Date in your classification is current then the answer to your question is yes if you are otherwise here as a visitor and then decide to complete the permanent residency process here that is fine but you will not be able to return to Canada or leave the country until you obtain your travel permit or green card. Contact me with the answers to the questions above and I can advise you on the timing, process, fees, etc. to assist you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/18/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
What you are asking is unclear. What was the approval for? What landing process are you talking about? If you are talking about having received the immigrant visa and now you want to enter the US as a new immigrant, then what you need to do is present the packet that the consulate gave you at the port of entry that you select to the inspection officer. They will know what to do with the packet and your green card will arrive in a matter of weeks in a nutshell. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/18/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
Your parents petition is a preference if you are over 21 and if so, it goes by priority dates and may not available for you now. You should look at the DOS Visa Bulletin. Also having an immigrant intent, might be a big issue if you knowingly come to US as a tourist but want to adjust status .
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/16/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
No! If you enter the US with the purpose of applying for a green card here, that is immigrant intent. Only someone who is already in the US when making that decision is eligible to apply in the US. You can apply for your green card via the consulate and in the meantime you can enter to visit in the US but you must disclose that you have an approved immigrant petition if asked.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: