What do I do about my DUI? 2 Answers as of July 07, 2011

I was stopped for speeding and asked to exit my vehicle. This happened about 2:30 a.m. I had a sip of a mixed alcohol beverage; it was not straight alcohol. The officer did not do a Breathalyzer but he did do the pen tip test. I am only 20 years of age, but I was not at all intoxicated, I received a citation for speeding and dui as a minor. The officer asked me had I been drinking and I told him no at first, but I guess he could sense I was nervous, so he said "you need to tell me the truth because I can always find out" I then replied, "I had a sip of a beverage" I have never known anyone to be intoxicated or drunk off of a small sip. I do not know what to do about the situation. The other occupants of the vehicle were drunk, so I believe that he assumed I was as well by association.

Bristol & Dubiel LLP
Bristol & Dubiel LLP | Murray L. Bristol
A DUI is an offense against a minor under 21 years old for having a detectable order of alcohol on the minor. It does not require proof of intoxication only that alcohol is in the system of a minor. You should contact an attorney to discuss your options and defenses.
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
In Texas, driving while under the influence of any alcohol whatsoever is an offense if you are under 21 years of age. Texas is a NO tolerance state when it comes to alcohol consumption by someone under 21. Whether or not you admitted it, he probably smelled it on your breath and that was more than enough for him to charge you. You need to hire a lawyer to represent you. A conviction could result in the loss of your driving privileges.