What do I do about collection agency harrassment? 10 Answers as of May 10, 2011

I have a collection agency calling and harassing me because of a delinquent account at fifth third bank. They allowed a charge to go through on a block/canceled card, which makes it fraudulent charges. What should I do?

Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
Get an attorney to write them a cease and desist letter. Its that simple.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You can tell them to cease and desist contacting you. Dispute the debt and let your credit reports you have done so.
Find a lawyer who specializes in 'Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" cases. It is against the law for them to harass you. Begin writing down the date and time of each call and what they say to you. Your lawyer will need this information. Take a picture of the incoming call.
Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
You should speak with a competent FDCPA attorney in your area.
The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin
The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin | Jared B. Gaynor
You should start by talking to the Bank. If that does not clear the situation up, you have certain rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Find an attorney in your areas that handles these matters.
    Fair Credit Collection laws control illegal harassment. You may want to consider a small claims lawsuit against the collection agency. As to the underlying debt you can dispute it in writing and make your statement a part of your credit report.
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    Write them a letter send it certified that you dispute the debt and refuse to pay. If they call again, you can sue them under the FDCPA.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    You can block and eliminate this collection and their harassment by filing bankruptcy.
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
    You either pay the debt if it is legitimate, file bankruptcy and/or sue them if they have violated FDCPA. Consult with an attorney.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Spencer Hale
    You can get a collection agency to stop calling you by getting an attorney or filing bankruptcy. I don't understand how them letting a charge go through on a blocked account makes the charge fraudulent. There must be something else there.