What do I do about back taxes if I am the executor of estate for a deceased person? 8 Answers as of July 11, 2013

My mom died last year and I notified IRS on her 2010 tax return. She received a notice yesterday, stating that her 2009 taxes are incorrect. Am I responsible for this as Executor of her estate? And should I send a letter stating that my mom died in 2010?

As executor you are not personally responsible for paying the taxes, but the estate is. You are also responsible for ensuring the tax returns are completed so you may need to handle the fixing of the return.
Law Office of Larry Webb
Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
Pay the taxes. The tax collector will have lien on the estate.
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
As Executor you should address the issue. I would speak with a CPA who is familiar with this type of filing.
Sweeney & Sweeney
Sweeney & Sweeney | J.Leonard Sweeney, III
Taxes should be settled and corrected prior to final disbursement.
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
As the PR you are personally responsible for the taxes due for the estate. As far as previous taxes, you would have to check with a CPA on this
    You should get a lawyer and a CPA. Taxes must be paid before you can make any estate distribution to heirs. You have a complex situation where you need two professionals.