What is the divorce procedure for a green card holder? 3 Answers as of June 06, 2011

I came USA this April through my husband. I have a son in Bangladesh. After I came to USA I got green card within 1month but I realized that my husband had an affair. So now I’m staying away from my husband. I decided divorce to him. Now what will be the procedure? If I divorce him from Bangladesh is it ok? Or should I divorce him in the USA? After I give divorce when I can marry again? And if I decide to marry someone from outside of USA then when I can apply for him? Please let me know.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
You can divorce him in the US, but you will need to check with the laws in Bangladesh regarding divorcing a US citizen while you are in Bangladesh. Re-marriage will depend on the laws where you divorce.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/6/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Your green card is temporary and must be renewed after two years. Whether you get divorced or not there will be difficulties proving the validity of your marriage. You can get divorced in the U.S., but I highly recommend consulting with an immigration lawyer before making any decisions. There is too much to consider to base it off a short email answer.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/6/2011
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
You can divorce in the US. If you have a conditional green card you will have to petition to remove conditions without your spouse's signature. Speak with an attorney. For a free consultation you may contact my office.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: