What is the difference between a tax attorney and CPA? 3 Answers as of January 06, 2011

In 2010 I won my lawsuit against Ford Motor Credit and was advised it might be prudent to seek assistance with my taxes. Please let me know the differance between a Tax Atttorney and a CPA.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
A tax attorney is a lawyer who specializes in taxes. A CPA is an accountant who may do taxes or auditing or other accounting services. The lines between the two are not real clear. But what you are looking for is expertise, attention to detail and someone you can trust. You can find some really good and bad tax attorneys and CPAs out there. Get some recommendations. For example, at my website, there is a tab for recommendations that prospects look at to get a feel for my expertise and approach.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/6/2011
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
To prepare a tax return, a CPA is usually recommended. A tax attorney might be needed for tax planning, although some CPAs do that as well. Consult with both about your situation and decide on who would best suit your needs and whom you are most comfortable with.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/3/2011
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
In general CPAs file tax returns and tax attorneys do not. Beyond that generalization, however, there may be very little difference depending upon the individual. Some tax attorneys file tax returns; and some CPAs are brilliant at planning. So in your situation what you need is a referral from a friend, colleague or neighbor to the right professional, whether that professional is a CPA or a tax attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: