What county do I file for divorce in? 6 Answers as of May 30, 2012

IM a resident of georgia my wife and children live in florida, my question is what county do i file for divorce in,my county or hers

Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
You could probably file in either place, but there is a vast difference between what a Georgia court can do vs. a Florida court because the court in GA may or may not have personal jurisdiction over your wife; it depends on the details of your specific situation, so you need to discuss your case with an experienced family law attorney in order to figure out the details regarding the best place to file.
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
If you want the divorce to be free of any possible jurisdictional issues, file where she lives in Florida.
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
What county do I file for divorce in? Unless she otherwise agree and consent you will need to file where defendant lives.
Kingloff & Travis | William K Travis
You have a choice, depending upon what you want to accomplish. Where did you and your wife marry? Where did you live together? Where have your children lived? How long have they lived in Florida? These are appropriate questions to answer to determine the solution to your question. If only you have lived in Georgia (and you and your wife did not marry in Georgia and your wife and children have never lived in Georgia) you may file in Georgia and have a divorce granted in Georgia without resolving any other issues. If your wife and children lived in Georgia less than six months ago, you may be able to file in Georgia and resolve divorce, child support, and child custody issues.
Speaker Law Firm
Speaker Law Firm | Theodore Speaker
The county you live in - a resident.