What could you be charged with if customs seized your order of fake IDs? 18 Answers as of July 11, 2013

I was wondering what could possibly happen if a group of people ordered fake id's online from china and the package got seized at customs. The fake id's weren't from their state, but did contain the pictures and names of the people who ordered them.

This response is general information only and does not esatablish an attorney client relationship. However they could be charged with federal and state crimes the exact charges would be at the discretion of the prosecutor. The group should hire one or more atorneys if there is a conflict of interest among any in the group.
Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
Depends if they are state or federal IDs. Either way, it is a felony.
This could be chargeable in both State and Federal courts. It would depend upon the prosecutor's decision whether to file charges and what those charges would be.
Harden Law Offices
Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
I would need much more information. Mail fraud comes to mind, but generally my opinion is wait to see what if any charges are involved. Frequently, the property will just be seized and the government will take no further action.
I suspect that any charges that are brought would be a violation of federal Law not State Law. Some sort of import violation. This question should be directed to an attorney with extensive Federal Practice.
    There may be federal criminal charges for identity theft or conspiring to engage in identity theft. The charges would likely be brought in the federal court in the state where the package was seized.If you are visited or called by authorities keep your mouth shut and secure an attorney.
    Attempted forgery comes to mind. The best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut. Do not talk to the cops; your friends or your parents. The only safe conversation is the one you have with your attorney. If the cops ask your permission to search tell them no. It may be that the matter won't go anywhere but in case it does, don't hurt yourself by being cooperative. My final two thoughts: 1. Why would you risk a felony conviction and all the bad consequences s you could drink or whatever you had in mind when you will be an adult within a matter of four years or less? 2. Chinese products are generally crap. People in Communist Countries get paid no matter what and the stuff they make reflects this. The bottom line her: See no evil; Speak no evil and hear no evil. Anything you could do at this point would most certainly get you in more trouble; other than hiring an attorney.
    A whole range of federal and state crimes. Youll learn the actual charge[s] filed against you when you appear for arraignment at your first court hearing. The prosecutor can amend at any time he feels he can prove additional or different charges. What can you do? Hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense, other than the advice to exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. That includes on this or any other web site or public forum. It also includes any communication or dealings with the store agents. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    It would be hard to prove that the people whose names and photos are on the fake IDs are the ones who ordered them. If you retain an attorney and do not talk to any police or customs agents you will probably not be charged or at least beat the case. It is a federal crime to use the mail to commit a crime and it is forgery to produce fake IDs.
    Attempted possession of forged documents comes to mind as a possible charge. Need to stand on your right to remain silent if someone comes to talk. Can't prove the crime unless they can prove you are the person(s) that attempted to possess the items. What that means is that if someone comes to call you ask if you are under arrest if they say yes then don't answer any questions and request a lawyer. If you are told you're not under arrest then tell them you don't want to talk and Leave! Call me for additional help.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    They will probably all be arrested on felony federal charges. If you were one of these people you should consider retaining counsel now to protect yourself. Give us call to discuss.
    Potential charges of conspiracy to commit crimes such as identity theft may apply given the use of the mail for fraudulent purposes.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    I don't believe this to me a Colorado criminal law question. I suggest contacting an attorney where the seizure occurred who has experience with federal criminal law.
    There are a number of potential charges. You should retain a criminal lawyer, (someone with federal court experience), as soon as possible. Good luck!
    Pontrello Law
    Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
    In Florida its a 3rd Degree Felony punishable by a maximum of 5 years.
    I'm not sure what federal or state offense could be charged.
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    That is a complicated problem. If customs is involved, you may face federal charges which are serious; or they may refer the matter to local prosecutors. I have represented people in state and federal court.