What could a Marine charged with a DUI do? 15 Answers as of April 22, 2015

One of my fellow marines was arrested last weekend for DUI. He is a marine and we want to know what could happen to him.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr.
A first time DUI carries up to 6 months jail in Kansas. However, there are numerous options to avoid this. He should hire an experienced DUI attorney right away.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 4/22/2015
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If he is being charged with DUI he will probably be prosecuted for it and should retain counsel to represent him. Then, after counsel has spoken with him further he or she can probably have a better understanding of how strong the case is and what the potential consequences might be.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/21/2015
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
He needs to hire a DUI specialist, and do it soon because he has only 10 days to save his license.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/21/2015
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Marines are subject to the same laws as all other citizens. In addition, he could face disciplinary action within the Marines for this conduct. DUI is considered a serious offense-sometimes it leads to felony charges. This Marine needs to hire a good criminal defense lawyer.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/21/2015
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
He needs to fight it. How and what he's looking at depend on where he was arrested. On post or off.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/21/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    The same thing as everyone else civilly and criminally, as well as issues with the Navy. He needs an attorney immediately.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Many more facts are needed to give a responsible answer. For example, how many prior drunk driving convictions does he have (anywhere in the US)? How much alcohol was in his system? Was his driving unusually dangerous to other people or property or just the usual DUI. What State was he driving in? Without knowing these things, no one could give useful opinion. Good Luck.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    It depends upon what his reading was. If under 2.0 you might get it amended to a reckless driving charge.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    If you are convicted of driving under the influence the sentence according to the Georgia law is as follows: 1st conviction with no conviction of and no plea of nolo contendere accepted to a charge of violating this Code section within the previous 10 year... 1. Fine of not less than $300 and not more than $1,000.00; 2. Imprisonment not fewer than 10 days nor more than 12 months, which period of imprisonment may, at the sole discretion of the judge, be suspended, stayed, or probated, except that if the offender's alcohol concentration at the time of the offense was .08 grams or more, the judge may suspend, stay or probate all but 24 hours of any term of imprisonment imposed under this sub-paragraph; 3. Not fewer than 40 hours community service; 4. Completion of a DUI Alcohol or Drug Use Risk Reduction Program completed within 120 days of sentence; 5. Clinical evaluation and treatment if recommended completed within 90 days of sentence; 6. 12 months probation minus time spent in jail. DUIs are very technical in nature and it is not advised that your fight a DUI without an attorney. Reach out to an attorney in the area where your friend was arrested. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    In Florida a first time DUI is usually no jail, $500 fine, 1 year probation, and some classes, classes are standard and available nation wide.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Hire a good lawyer Hopefully there will be some defenses and he will not be convicted of DUI. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    Drunk driving offenses are not criminal offenses in NJ. Depending on prior offenses, he is looking at $1500 fines and penalties, loss of license, required use of an ignition interlock.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Shalvoy Law, LLC | Walter A. Shalvoy Jr.
    I would need a lot more information to provide an accurate response. Is this his first one, was there an accident, was anyone injured, etc. That said, if it is his first one and nobody was seriously injured he could apply for the alcohol education program. If he were to complete the program and stay out of trouble the charges would be dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    He could be eligible for the new veteran's diversion program under Penal Code 1001.80 and earn a complete dismissal.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    He could be sentenced to 12 months in jail and $1000.00 fine.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/21/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!