What could I do to stop other people from using my work? 6 Answers as of August 06, 2015

I have filed for copyright of my pictures and they have been registered (I am a hair stylist). They were registered on Jan 4 2014 and the certificate was mailed on Feb 2 2014 according to the copyright office. There are 2 other stylist claiming my work as theirs. I want to know what I can do to have them stop using my work.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
Have an IP attorney send them a cease and desist letter.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 8/6/2015
Eminent IP, P.C.
Eminent IP, P.C. | Paul C. Oestreich
As a copyright owner, you have the exclusive legal right to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic or musical material and to authorize others to do the same. Your registration provides you some additional procedural advantages including a presumption of validity and attorneys fees. In this instance, it is not clear from your narrative: (1) whether your photograph is being used by others, or (2) whether a hair style (or some other object) depicted in the photograph is being used by others. Copyright only protects the first scenario. So, if there is unauthorized use of your photograph, you need to have a cease-and-desist letter prepared and sent to the infringers. We would be delighted to advise you regarding your specific facts and all possible legal strategies and remedies. As always, you should consult with an intellectual property or Copyright attorney to explore all of your legal remedies before proceeding.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 8/5/2015
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
You need to hire a copyright lawyer. The attorney will send a demand letter to in infringer's requesting they stop - or they will be sued. You can really do nothing on your own in this situation. You could even harm your case if you try. GOOD LUCK!
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/5/2015
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Send each person using your photograph without your permission a "cease and desist" letter informing them that your images are both copyrighted and registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. Insist that they stop using the photographs and remove them immediately from every place and in every medium they have placed the images. Tell them that if they continue to use your photographs without permission, you will file suit in federal court naming them as defendants and describe the penalties established by statute. Do not threaten them in any manner. An attorney with experience in intellectual property law can help you.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/4/2015
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
As a first step you might want to send them a cease and desist letter. In the letter you should notify them that you have a registered copyright on your "artistic expression". The letter should be mailed with signature receipt to verify that they received the letter. In many cases they will stop because they fear litigation and the legal costs. If you want to take further action you should contact a local IP attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/4/2015
Click to View More Answers: