What could I do if two county jails refused to give me my prescription medication? 5 Answers as of August 12, 2015

I had been in one jail after being arrested, and then transferred to a down state jail 2 days later. I have been on depression med Cymbalta, for 13 years. Also have degenerative joint disease and osteoarthritis among other disabilities that I take narcotics Vicodin and Kadian for. Both jails said I would no longer receive these meds, as the jails are now non-narcotic jails. For 4 days I repeatedly asked for a nurse or doctor or to be taken to hospital as I was experiencing withdrawal from all my meds. I informed all officers that I could die from sudden stop of the depression med. They kept telling me I would see a nurse. She walked by my cell and went home despite me calling out to her repeatedly. This is inhumane and I believe I was lied to and was withheld my meds. Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You are in jail. The jailors run the jail, PERIOD.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/12/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
The only thing I know to do if they won't provide you with your medicine and it is medically necessary is for you to file a prisoner civil rights suit. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 8/12/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
You may have a civil rights case.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/12/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Talk to a civil rights lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/11/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
You need to find a lawyer experienced in prisoner's rights issues which is a fairly complex field. You could try your state's or county's ACLU. Or the State Public Defender.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/11/2015
Click to View More Answers: