What could I do if I'm being sued for my debt? 4 Answers as of July 02, 2015

A company is suing me for $1700. I am not employed and cannot pay an attorney. Under state law, what can they do against me? Do I have to show up for court even if I cannot pay?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You should always show up in court but if you cant then the outcome may not be different. They can get a judgment and then garnish your future salary.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/2/2015
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
You should show up even if you cannot pay. If you don't a default judgment is entered, which can be enforced for 20-27 years. You do not indicate who is suing you or what the claim is. If you are being sued by a debt buyer by all means show up and demand a trial date. They are unlikely to be able to prove anything. You should get a fee waiver for the appearance fee from the court. See if you qualify for free legal assistance.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/2/2015
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
They can try to get a judgment. They may or may not be able to collect if they get a judgment.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/2/2015
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
How do you know you can't afford an attorney? How much do you think they'll charge if the suit is only for $1,700? Always show up for court. If you do and they don't, you win! If you do and they do, maybe you'll catch a break. If you don't, you've given up your rights. Under CT law with a judgment they can garnish wages when you get a job, put a lien on your home, or take money from your bank account. Go to court and make a deal IF you think you owe it. $20 a month, so be it. Or get an attorney who might be able to fight this, if it's worth it.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 7/2/2015
Click to View More Answers: