What could I do if I got a warrant for my arrest for missing a court date? 15 Answers as of March 17, 2013

What could I do if I got a warrant for my arrest for missing a court date and really is not trying to go to jail! Got a family I going to take care of. I forgot all about my court date and was out of town trying to make money to pay for my rent. If there is any way I can do this without going to jail please let me know!

The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Contact your public defender and ask him to arrange a surrender. You should get a diary to keep your court dates in.
It's always a possibility that you could go to jail for missing a court date, but it will depend on the judge, what the reason was for missing, and how much time has passed since the missed court date. You need to get a lawyer and turn yourself in on the matter as soon as possible because the longer you wait, the worse it gets.
Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
Depending on the court involved, you may be able to have your lawyer approach the court to get the warrants set aside and a new court date set. Some courts will require you presence in court for this to happen. Others will require a new bond be posted. You will need to check with a local attorney to find out what procedure is available in your court.
How about scheduling a court date to surrender on the warrant?
You must turn yourself into the jail on the warrant. Open warrant means jail.
    Get an attorney and walk into the courthouse with that person. This gives you the best chances of avoiding jail.
    Chris Cascio
    Chris Cascio | Chris Cascio
    Contact a lawyer and see if he can get the bench warrant recalled.
    You need to schedule a hearing to address the outstanding warrant. You did not say what your offense was, but that will determine if you face jail time.
    Hire an attorney. Often an attorney can work it out without you going to jail.
    Mari Morrison Attorney at Law | Mari Morrison
    Contact the court and go in first to arrange for taking care of the business.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    Perhaps the Court might consider recalling the warrant, if you have a good reason for missing court. If not, then you are supposed to surrender. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    You should hire an attorney to recall your bench warrant. This can usually be done without turning yourself in.
    You would need to get an attorney and have the matter resolved before you get arrested.
    Go to the court, preferably with attorney, apologize and ask for a new date. If this is the first time they will generally allow it. Don't miss the next one.
    Hire a lawyer. A lawyer can go to court to recall the warrant without you present, so it is less risky for you.