What could I do if I am being sued for a car accident? 14 Answers as of September 30, 2015

I was in a car accident, it was my fault since I lost control of my car. Now the lady whose car I hit wants money can she win? I don't own anything I don't have any savings. I have 4 kids and my wife was let go from her job so right now my family and I live from only my pay check to pay check.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
If you have insurance, you should turn the matter over to you insurance company and agent immediately.
You don?t say anything about insurance. If you had insurance as required by law, let them handle it. If not, explain your circumstances. Most lawyers representing claimants do not want to go after uninsured parties.
Boesen Law, LLC
Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
You better have liability insurance to protect you.
I am assuming you have insurance as is required by law. Presuming such is the case, turn the matter over to your insurance company for handling. If you do not have insurance, the answer is that the lady can win in court and can collect as against your wages with a garnishment, in which case you may need to consider bankruptcy. Good luck.
Sarrail, Castillo & Hall, LLP | Monica Castillo
You need to report this to your auto insurance company.
    Turn the matter over to your auto insurance company right away....they should handle it.
    Robinette Legal Group, PLLC
    Robinette Legal Group, PLLC | Jeffery Robinette
    In West Virginia it is the law that you carry at least liability insurance on your car. The purpose of this insurance is to provide restitution to any person or property that is damaged by your vehicle. You could be sued personally if your vehicle was not insured. If it was insured, your insurance company will provide a lawyer to represent your interest and the insurance will pay for damages.
    Answer Applies to: West Virginia
    You are in a bad position. If she gets a judgement against you, she can prevent you from renewing your driver's license until it has been paid off. You might want to file for bankruptcy if she sues you.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Turn the claim over immediately to your auto insurance company and they will defend you.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    No worries. Nobody wants a judgment against you, they want your insurance to pay. As long as you had insurance, it will not cost you a cent.
    If you were driving without insurance, then you were very foolish. Your insurance would pay, but if you down have it, then YOU have to pay. You don't get a break for making 2 mistakes, like losing control of the car, and not having insurance. I will bet that you don't do that a second time!!
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Did you have auto insurance (the law required you to have it in MI)? If so, turn the suit papers over to your insurer and they will defend you at no cost to you. If you didn't have insurance, then you may be sued, but the injured party may also go after their own Uninsured Motorist coverage instead, if they purchased it. The injured party still has a right to sue you and get a Judgment against you if you don't defend any suit that isn't defended by your insurer. Certainly, if a Judgment is obtained against you, they can try and collect it (and in MI it is good for 10 years and can be renewed - so present uncollectability doesn't foreclose a later collection against you).
    Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
    Did you have insurance? If so notify your insurance company. If no insurance yes, you can be sued and an a judgment can be awarded against you. Get an attorney soon as possible.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    This is why you have car insurance. Contact your insurance company right away. They will also assign a lawyer to represent you at no charge to you.