What could I do if I am being prosecuted by animal control? 5 Answers as of August 25, 2015

A neighbor is claiming my dog killed his cat. He says he has pictures of my dog loose but no pictures of my dog killing his cat. We went to mediation where nothing was solved. When he claims my dog killed his cat, he called animal control. Animal control showed up and he claims they saw the dead cat. They went to our house and cited us for animal at large but made no mention of any cat whatsoever. The citation was dismissed as well. I'm wondering if can actually have a good case or not.

Most cities have ordinances, local laws, which require dogs to be fenced or on leashes. If your dog was loose, you violated the law, and if prosecuted and found guilty, could be fined. It has nothing to do with killing the cat. Strictly the fact that your dog got loose.
Anybody can suit anybody else for whatever they choose to allege. Given the fact that the citations have been dismissed it will be up to your neighbor to prove his case, which appears to be somewhat difficult. On the other hand, you should be aware that the level of proof necessary in a criminal matter is higher than in a civil matter.
If all charges get dismissed (and not some other plea deal), you may have a claim for abuse of process. Good luck.
At this point your neighbour does not seem to have much evidence. He's got the burden. (At the same time, I would check up on everything I could about the dog's whereabouts on the day the cat allegedly died. Does your dog have a history of aggression?
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
I don't think so. They need some evidence that the dog injured the cat.