What could I do if I am being harassed at work? 5 Answers as of July 10, 2015

I am just sick off going home from work feeling down and having to hide behind another face so to speak. I’ve been called a liar and called a homo (homosexual) which I am not. I have asked the management to help and it just falls on deaf ears. They just smirk at me which makes me feel down. I try not to let them see it worries me. I have gone home some nights close to tears and just do not know where to turn. If I push this at work they will make my life hell because one off the management I have talked to said that if you do anything on the guy that is causing the trouble he make it his job to get you back. Now I have already had bad blood with him when I got the union in on it for him swearing at me and the head off the branch just said sorry on his behalf and that he would be watched closely, now from what I have been told he had 21 men in against him that year alone, everyone in work take about this manager and how bad he is but turn the other cheek in case. I have kept some notes and dates on these things that they has done if it helps. I do not know what to do. I am on the edge to packing the job in but I really love doing my job. Sorry to bother you. Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
If you are union, I would file a grievance under your contract. You also have the right to file a complaint with the EEOC for hostile workplace and harassment.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 7/10/2015
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Since you have a union representing your interests at the work place you and the other employees should continue to press your grievances through the union. You might also speak with an attorney who handles employment law cases for employees to see if you have a case for a retaliatory hostile work environment in violation of Title VII. Bear in mind, though, that the federal courts do not consider things like petty slights and insults or "bad blood" between parties to be a violation of Title VII.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/9/2015
You should speak with Human Resources about these issues. If that does not help, you should speak with an attorney that handles harassment cases. I do not do that kind of case, so I do not know if you have a good case or not. My most sincere advice is to find another job. You may really love doing the job, but is it worth wrecking your life?
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/8/2015
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
You should immediately file a discrimination and harassment case against your employer. Contact an attorney if needed.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/8/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Yours is a very difficult case, given the fact that sexual orientation, or alleged sexual orientation is not necessarily a currently suspect classification which might give rise to a discrimination or harassment claim. You should see an employment attorney with all the details as these cases are generally fact driven. And certainly sorry for your troubles, but I would, if I were you, also be looking for alternate employment.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/8/2015
Click to View More Answers: