What could happen to me for a first time offense for retail fraud under $20? 1 Answers as of October 05, 2017

I was charged with retail fraud (1st offense) and have no clue what to say in court. I admitted switching the tags to the employee however, the piece of clothing that I was trying to buy didn't have the sale tag on it, like the other ones did but in larger sizes. Since it was the same exact item, I just took a tag from a LG size bathing suit top and kept it with the item I was going to buy. I wasn't trying to make my own sale prices. I begged the lost prevention woman to go look at the other tops and she would see that those tags were the same one I had in my hands. I was in a super rush (late for a birthday gathering) and what I should've done was take the large top, along with the one I wanted to purchase, up to a cashier and allow her the time to look into this for me instead of taking the tag from a large and kept it with mine and went to a self check out. I had no time, the lines were long, and I knew it would take the cashier even more time to look into the price of my top. I therefore took it upon myself to just get the same tag off of another top! I don't know what to do. The person who I thought would represent me since they are long family friends but I'm not getting a response so I'm going into the court completely blind and have no clue what to even say or do.

Very simple - a conviction will impair your life so you need to consult with an attorney ASAP. There are deals to be had and if you'd like, take it to trial. Just don't go it alone.