What could happen legally if I discontinue paying alimony but continue child support since I cant afford both? 3 Answers as of October 04, 2016

If you just stop paying the amount, it doesn't change the fact that you owe the money. You're subjecting yourself to interested in a rate of 10% and quite possibly a contempt motion for failure to pay which could result in a fine of $500 and/or five days in jail for each unpaid amount. Your best solution is if your income is changed to file a motion to request a downward modification of support.
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
The spousal support is due until paid. The arrears (past due support) would accrue interest at 10 percent per year until paid. If you cannot afford to pay the spousal support, your best course of action would be to go to court to modify or terminate the spousal support due to your decreased ability to pay support. An attorney would be helpful in preparing such a request for order.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
An arrearage will accrue and any tax refund you may have coming will be attached. If you really don't have sufficient money to pay both amounts, file a motion with the court to modify things downward based on the insufficiency of your money. Get a lawyer to help you. This stuff can be trickly.