What could happen for a Theft charge first offense Iowa seection 714.2(5)? Posted on June 20, 2011

If I plead guilty can I have the charge expunged and not have a criminal record? The amount of theft charge is $8.50/ 6 candy bars at an Indian Casino. The actual value is $2.00 - $3.00. I'm 70 years old and was manhandled. There were 6 or 7 individuals following me as I exited the casino to catch my bus which was leaving. The bus left without me. That was my only means of transportation. I was able to call the bus's business line. They had the bus come back to pick me up after it dropped off passengers. This is a 60 mile one way, 120 miles round trip. The officer had planned to put me in a jail cell overnight, but had a change of heart. He told the two female employees that he was letting me go home due to health conditions. So, they quickly proceeded to finger print and palm print me into their computer database. They took pictures of me and two scars, one on each knee due to past total knee replacement. I don't understand how one can be treated the way I was treated over 6 candy bars. If I plead innocent can I be sent to jail or can the charges be dismissed? I was charged on June 10, 2011. Would it be advisable for me to ask for a court-appointed attorney?