What is the cost for a patent search? 4 Answers as of August 13, 2011

What is the cost for a patent search?

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
Depends on the type of search and the scope of the search. You can go to our website and find a patent search feature (www.theipcenter.com) to help you for free. Feel free to contact our office if you have any questions. (913-345-0900) Good Luck
Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
The price of a patent search varies depending on: (1) quality of the search, i.e. who is doing the searching; (2) complexity of the invention; (3) whether you wish to have a written opinion of patentability as well as the search. Cheap searches are available, but if the persons doing the search are not patent attorneys or patent agents, they will probably not do a good search and may be a complete waste of money. The cheap searches are often performed by a clerical office worker with no patent training and they send you what often appears to be a random package of patents. If you miss a prior patent which is so similar to your device that it prevents your patent application from being granted by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) you have not accomplished the goal of the search and wasted thousand of dollars spent in preparing and filing your patent application. A quality search performed by a patent attorney, with a written opinion of a patent attorney regarding patentability for a device which is not complex, will cost approximately $975+ at my office. My searches are conducted by a Washington D.C. patent attorney whose practice is devoted solely to patent searching. In the appropriate case, I can perform an "in-house" search of the USPTO data base for approximately $500.
Law Office of Thomas Williamson
Law Office of Thomas Williamson | Thomas Williamson
The cost for a patent search depends on the type of search you are looking for and the firm whom you engage to represent you. First, a patent search typically includes a patentability opinion, but may not so be careful in asking for what you really want. That is, an opinion based on the search results as to whether it is likely that you might be able to obtain a patent for your invention. Patentability depends on 1) whether it is patentable subject matter (article of manufacture, machine, process or composition of matter (chemical)), 2) whether it is useful (essentially everything meets usefulness), 3) whether it is "novel"; that is, the exact invention cannot have been done before as evidenced by a single patent or publication, and 4) whether it is "non-obvious"; that is, whether all of the elements of the invention are fully described in two or more patents or other publications. A patent search itself only provides references without the above analysis, so what you are probably looking for is the patentability search/opinion as noted. There are other types of searches/opinions related to patents: Infringement Opinion (whether you would violate someone else's rights by making, using, selling, offering for sale or importing your invention into the U.S.). Infringement opinions involve a comparison of your device or process with a known patent or patents and do not typically require a search. Clearance/Freedom to Operate Search/Opinion (whether you are clear to make, use, sell, offer for sale or import your invention into the U.S.) This is basically an infringement opinion combined with a search. Field/State of the Art Search (this is just to locate patents similar to your invention - typically used to get an idea of what exists generally in order to develop an invention - a later more focused patent search and patentability opinion would be needed to determine if the developed product/process would be patentable). Y
The Law Offices of Mark Trenner
The Law Offices of Mark Trenner | Mark Trenner
The cost of a patent search varies. I've seen them cost $1,000 and up. I am currently offering a basic patent search for $250 and a more extensive patent search including analysis and written opinion for $495. Contact me if you are interested learning more about what each of these includes. Thank you