What constitutes workplace slander? How? 2 Answers as of August 28, 2015

I am a female employee of a local government agency. Recently I was appointed as interim supervisor during a transition period. Office gossip began that I slept with the director to get the appointment. I took it as nothing but office gossip until at a team meeting a female member of our governing body repeated it in front of the entire team. To have office gossip repeated by our agency overseer in a public forum was at the least unprofessional and some were so infuriated they suggested it might be slander or defamation of character. I would just like to be armed with the legalities before I ask for an apology.

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
you may file a defamation suit, but you will have to prove actual damages, not just wounded feelings. But, judges and juries do not like these type of cases, and often award nominal damages, like one dollar. A better approach might be to address this through your human resources dept.
Then confer with an attorney with all of the facts.