What civil code is my rental management company violating by requiring me to change my rent due date from the 15th to the 1st without proration? 4 Answers as of May 19, 2014

They told me to just start paying on the first, even when I told them that I would be paying for 2 weeks twice. They have sent me (2) 3-day notices and late fees, but once the manager reminded them that my rent is due on the 15th, they backed off. Now that they've fired that manager, they want me to pay or be evicted. I have 12 months of cancelled checks that prove they know my rent is due on the 15th.

You do not give what state you are in so no one can quote an applicable code section. For California, no code section deals directly with your fact situation. Contract law requires that the terms of a lease can not be changed before the lease term expires and proper notice must be given. So for rentals of month to month, the landlord must give at least thirty days notice of changing the date rent is due and can not charge twice for the same period of time. Ask them directly why you pay twice for the same two week period of time.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
If your lease has expired and you were on a month-to-month, then the terms of the agreement to be changed upon 30 days written notice by your party. However, the payment they cannot be changed without prorating prior rents paid, to avoid any demand for over payment of rent.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
What does your rental agreement say? If it says the 15th, show them.
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
The landlord cannot change the terms of your lease agreement, whether it is written or oral. However, try to accommodate them and move your rent payment date to the first of the month. The landlord, cannot double dip, and collect rent twice for the same two weeks. The landlord should prorate your rent and realign payment for the first of the month.