What child custody rights do I have as a father? 4 Answers as of May 24, 2011

My ex-girlfriend broke up with me when my daughter was 2 years old because I was too sick to hold job. I eventually picked up a contract as a Web Developer and a new apartment. My ex & I verbally agreed to 50% custody. I have kept an email chain for years now as my daughter is 5 & a half. After completing my contract, I moved in with parents to show stability for daughter and their house is walking distance to her school. I have dedicated my life to supporting her (I'm not even dating). I get her about 70% of the time, mainly because her mother pushes her off on me constantly which I love. Now my ex wants to move 3 cities away with my daughter and feels she is the dominant parent, so she has the right! I don't know what to file for with courts and if I need to beat her to court? Currently I am a very poor Android App Developer and have no money for an attorney! What do I do?

If you haven't filed a Paternity (Uniform Parentage Act) case, you should do so without delay, along with an Order to Show Cause seeking custody of your daughter, and opposing her mother's move-away with her, setting forth the details of your relationship with your daughter and your increasing timeshare, with back-up documents. Of course, you would best be represented by an experienced Family Law Attorney in such matters.
Sell stuff and hire an attorney. You must file a motion to change custody due to the move away, file it now before it is too late.
Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
You must file in the courts to get your voice heard and let the court know that she will be moving? You say 3 cities away but what is the distance? will she be attending the same school. She can do what she wants because you never filed. It is important to get orders.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
If you want to keep custody of your daughter you better find a way to pay an attorney, because if you lose this issue in court, you will live with the consequences for the rest of your daughter's childhood. You need to get into court now while the facts support you as the custodial parent. Beg and borrow money for an attorney, as one mistake will be fatal to your relationship with your daughter.