What charges be filed over an accusation that I used another persons license at a license check? 3 Answers as of February 18, 2011

My friend is accusing me of using her license to get out of a license check. It is a he said she said thing. She has no proof and is claiming to file charges. Can she file charges against me? And if so will it stand in court? What am I facing?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
She has no proof that you used her license unless she witnessed it. You will probably have the case dismissed if you are charged and you will not face jail or a criminal record. You must not talk to anyone about the incident. Most people are so stupid that they admit their guilt to the police who know how to scare them into making admissions. Without their statements they could have their lawyers fight the charges and even get he case dismissed, but after they confess it is very difficult to plea bargain or fight the charges. The police neen a deposition from the bouncer or someone who witnessed the crime or the charges will not hold up in court.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/18/2011
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
It depends upon whether you received a traffic ticket in her name or not. If you did, then she may well have the necessary proof to have you charged with a crime and the DMV will likely turn the matter over to the police to further investigate it. If they can prove that it was you who used her license, they will likely arrest you for criminal impersonation plus some other charges if they feel they can prove them. Its does not appear to be simply a he said/ she said situation. I suggest you obtain an attorney who is nearby you and see what can be done to defend you. You may need a defense if they pursue it.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/14/2011
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
First this response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, your friend could go to the police or the district attorney to file charges- could be more than one- impersonation, offering a false document. If the prosecutor files charges , you should hire an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: