What can you do to get out of an employment contract you signed without getting a lawsuit? 8 Answers as of May 02, 2014

If I was told I had to sign a contract for employment and it states I have to give 6 months notice when leaving the job is there a way out of this without a lawsuit? It also talks about at will employee in the contract.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You need to see an employment attorney. If you are at will, you can be discharged at any time without cause. However, you would be required to give 6 months notice. I do not think that they would pursue a claim against you if you left sooner as long as it was not for a competing business.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/2/2014
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
You need to have a lawyer review your contract. Otherwise you cannot get a correct answer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/2/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
I don't know about the 6-month notice. A six-month non-compete would be more standard. I would still give 2-weeks notice and not worry about it.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/2/2014
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
An at will employee is an employee that can be fired for any reason, or no reason, but not for any illegal reason (race, gender, national origin, religion, etc.) At will employees also typically have the right to quit a job when they want to. This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing the contract.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 5/2/2014
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
MS is an employment at will State. So carefully read the contract and see what you have agreed to.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 5/2/2014
Click to View More Answers: