What can we do to replace our sidewalk? How? 5 Answers as of July 15, 2015

We are trying to replace our driveway of 30 years, but were hit by a refusal since the city owned sidewalk of over 30 years is also not compliant. The city wrote the code, is non-compliant to the code, and will not allow work to progress until we pay for a new city owned sidewalk.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
You may have to go before the zoning board.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/15/2015
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Many cities take the position that the homeowner actually owns the sidewalk but they will put it in. Do you really want a sidewalk? You need to have in writing from the city what they are willing to do and on what legal basis; then you might need to see a local attorney who does land use planning to see what can be done.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/14/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
It's hard to say what you can do. In many places, if the city replaces a sidewalk or does other work which improves your property, you can arrange to pay for it over a period of years. You might consult a lawyer skilled in municipal and administrative matters. He or she would be able to advise you on how to seek reimbursement from the city if the fault is truly theirs, rather than just due to time.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/14/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
I take it that when you say "hit by a refusal" you mean they wouldn't give you a construction permit? See if there is an appeals process.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/14/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
You are going to need to get a lawyer familiar with condemnation cases. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 7/14/2015
Click to View More Answers: