What can we do to prevent the father on getting joint custody? 2 Answers as of June 14, 2013

My wife has a daughter from a previous marriage. She left her now ex-husband because he was abusive, constantly cheating, and refused to get a job to help support the family. In her divorce papers, she also had acquired custody of her daughter and he was required to pay child support with the rights to see her when she (my wife deemed fit). It has been over a year since she has been legally divorced and today we received a letter from the local family court saying he was filing for joint custody. Out of all the months after the papers had been signed he only paid child support twice, and whenever we allowed her to go to his place for the weekend (only when she asked to go), she would return filthy and hungry. Today we received papers from the local family court saying that he was filing for joint custody.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
First thing you need to realize is that payment of child support has little or nothing to do with the rights of visitation. The Court will set down a hearing to determine if a modification of visitation is in the best interest of the child.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/14/2013
Click to View More Answers: