What can we do to help someone who skipped from probation in California? 8 Answers as of January 19, 2011

We have a friend who has skipped out on her probation on a mental-drug program. What should she do to minimize her difficulties?

What you can and should do depends upon several variables. Was it a misdemeanor, or a felony? You should hire an Attorney to calendar the matter and appear in Court. Use only an experienced, local attorney who emphasizes Criminal Law in their practice and will appear personally. The Public Defender will generally not step in unless your friend is personally present.
Convince him to return. Hire him an attorney. He has an arrest warrant out for him. For him to handle this, he must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a new plea bargain on the outstanding charges and warrant. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than you being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That will happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US. If this was a felony, he must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. If this was a misdemeanor, his attorney can appear in court without him being present, and any plea bargain deal could be handled by notarized paperwork. If this is in SoCal courts, and you're serious about getting legal help doing so, feel free to contact me.
Is she still in California? Does does she want to deal with it? I'm not even sure what you are saying. Did she walk away from the program or completed it but was still on probation? If you are near the Bay Area call me. If not I can probably refer you to someone good, but this case definitely needs a lawyer to minimize the pain.
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
If your are serious about helping her out, hire a private attorney to:1. Put her matter on calendar,2. Recall the Bench Warrant,3. Get the case back on track, and4. Get your friend the help she needs.

This all depends on the county, judge, prosecutor, and your attorney. If your friend truly has some mental disabilities, the court will see this issue.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
Wise Law Group
Wise Law Group | Michael J. Wise, Esq
Every case is different and I don't have enough information from your question to provide you with a specific answer. However, in general she should contact an attorney to determine the state of the case and / or a bondsman to see if she has a warrant.
    She should contact a California attorney to have the attorney check on the status.
    Hire a lawyer to recall the outstanding warrant and have probation reinstated with the least amount of punishment (or none) handed out.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    The best advise is to help her get back on the right track. Just because she "skipped" does not mean probation is aware. Hire an attorney to make contact with probation. With any luck they have not sent a recommendation to violate her probation. If they have the attorney could handle the probation hearing.