What can we do if our son was accused of forcible rape? 7 Answers as of December 26, 2013

Last month the county sheriff’s office detective contacted us saying that our 14-year-old son forcibly raped a 14-year-old girl in our home over the summer. We immediately "lawyered up". The girl’s parents are not pressing charges and now we are waiting to see if the prosecutor is going to pursue charges. Our son was watching his sister and we live out in the country so not sure how she would have gotten there or when this would have allegedly have happened. How long does it take to find out if charges will be brought?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
The prosecutor has up to 7 years to bring charges.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 12/26/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
This is a question you should be asking your attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/19/2013
Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
You are very wise to have "lawyered up." That in itself may have prevented criminal charges from being filed in a case in which there is insufficient other evidence of a crime. Unfortunately, it could take 10 years or more before the case is barred by the statute of limitations because the alleged victim was a minor. If law enforcement is interested in following up on the case they may try to talk to your son again to see if he will make any statements that can be used against him. He should be strongly advised not to speak to the police about any such incidents no matter how persuasive they are, and if you are wise, a proper letter should be directed to the police stating that they are not to interview your son without his attorney being present. You could hire an attorney to do this, and who can try to monitor the investigation and/or the filing process, but again, this could go on for a long time without a specific answer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/18/2013
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
If you "lawyered up" you need to talk to your lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 12/19/2013
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
You have an attorney for your son. All questions should be address to him. It is unethical for an attorney to comment on an other attorney's on going case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/19/2013
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    It can often take up to several months for rape kit and other DNA tests to come back. The statute of limitations is 10 years, but normally it takes no longer than a year at the very most to bring charges. If your lawyer can't answer these questions, then you should consider retaining another one.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/19/2013
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    1 year.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 12/19/2013
Click to View More Answers: