What can we do if our ceiling fell through? How? 12 Answers as of May 25, 2015

Our ceiling fell through 2 days before Christmas and we are still waiting for our apartment to be fixed. We are still living in it. Is there anything that we can do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
You have got to be kidding..... 5 months with a collapsed ceiling. You may have a really good claim against your landlord. You really need to consult with an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/25/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Check your lease. You might be entitled to withhold rent. Check also with a local landlord/tenant lawyer. Municipalities may have ordinances which help you as well.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 5/25/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Declare that the lease is breached and move.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/22/2015
Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
Most states have some procedure whereby you can deposit your rent with the court (in Ohio it's a Municipal Court) until the landlord makes appropriate repairs. If made in good faith, this would protect you from retaliatory eviction. You could also choose to call the local health and/or building code departments which may cite your landlord to make the repairs. Finally, read your lease. There be a clause that would allow you to make repairs and then deduct the repairs form your rent.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/22/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
Move, and sue the landlord for abatement of rent and moving expenses.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/22/2015
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    If you have injuries you need to hire an attorney. If not you can call Department of Building and Safety and file a complaint with them. You also can refuse to pay the rent until the issue is fixed since the landlord violated the covenant of habitability.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/22/2015
    Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
    First contact the Housing or Building Code department in your city and file a complaint. Next, contact an experienced Landlord/Tenant or civil litigation attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/22/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    You really don't give enough detail here for this to be answered. Take a look at your lease and see what it says about the landlord's duties to repair and what remedies you have if they don't. Consider consulting an experienced real property lawyer for your options. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 5/21/2015
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Give notice and move to a new apartment.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 5/21/2015
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Look at your lease. You should demand that landlord. Talk to a landlord tenant attorney .You may be able to fix it yourself and deduct it from the rent. But talk to an attorney before you do anything.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 5/21/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    You can stop paying rent, as the apt. is uninhabitable. However, this could lead to an eviction attempt, so not recommended.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/21/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Get an attorney or go to the local building and safety department and make a complaint. Without details I cannot form a more specific opinion.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/21/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney