What can we do if my son was involved in a car accident today and we just found out that his policy was canceled back in February 2017? 2 Answers as of October 04, 2017

We were never notified by mail, phone call or email. That was supposed to be automatically withdrawn from his account he had signed off at the office.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Mark G. Patricoski, P.C. | Mark G. Patricoski
You have a problem. Get an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/4/2017
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
1. You need to look into the lack of notice. The insurance company cannot terminate benefits without sending a cancellation letter. Perhaps you moved and forgot to notify them. They are only obligated to send notice to the address you / he provided. 2. Your son cannot credibly assert that he never looked at his bank account in 8 months. That would be necessary for him to not know that no funds were withdrawn for insurance. 3. If your son was at fault, his only options are to make payments, file bankruptcy, or give up his license. Even if he gives up his license, the other driver's insurance will probably secure a judgment against him. They are all unpleasant options. Beyond that, his car will not be repaired or replaced. 4. If the accident was his fault, he will receive a ticket and his license will probably be suspended. 5. If it was not his fault, there is no effect unless the other driver was not insured, either.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/3/2017
Click to View More Answers: