What can we do if the I-751 visa application was denied? 6 Answers as of May 04, 2011

Me and my brother came here and our step mom petitioned. Basically my dad and her marriage didn't work out. We moved out and we have to file a petition to remove conditional residence. We always check online and call, one of my step dad's friend work in the immigration and said that it already has been denied August 2010, but we haven't received anything and the online says it's still processing. So what do we do now?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
What you need to do is to do an infopass appointment and go physically to your local immigration office and check there if the information you are getting is so bad. Just go to www.uscis.gov and look for infopass and follow the instructions. Otherwise consult an attorney to explore what other options there are. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
You have to immediately find out if your case has been referred to the Immigration Court. You can do so by dialing 1-800-898-7180 and following the instructions to input your A number in. If your case is not referred to immigration court, then do an INFOPASS with the USCIS by going to USCIS.gov to find out what really happened to your case. If you case was denied and it is referred to immigration court, you and your mother may be able to challenge the decision.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Until you receive official WRITTEN notice of the denial from USCIS, you should not be relying on your step dad's friend's hearsay information regarding the decision. And, even it it has (or will be denied) your step-mother may be able to appeal the denial if she has a credible reason.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 5/4/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Honestly, if I were you, I would hire a competent immigration attorney to take over your case. If you don't want to do that, call the DHS 800 number to start an inquiry to request a status update. That number is listed on your DHS receipt notice.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
First step is to get a copy of the denial. I assume your Dad's case was denied as well. If your Dad is divorced now but wasn't when he filed to remove conditions I would re-file as a self-petitioner with divorce decree and strong evidence that marriage was valid but just didn't work out for reasons unrelated to immigration. If your stepmom will cooperate a letter from her would be useful but is not essential. There are other bases for a self-petition as well but I would need to assess the whole case to properly advise. Best would be to set up a paid consult and we can go from there on what to do.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: