What can we do if the car we bought is not registered and the seller gave fake information? 5 Answers as of April 24, 2013

We paid cash for a used vehicle and my boyfriend was pulled over yesterday and told it was 4 years behind on registration. The car was impounded and is registered under another name, apparently not the seller and not us since we hadn't transferred the title yet. I called the person who sold us the car and he pretended not to know who I was at first then flat out said we didn't have his real name or address. My boyfriend and I are both full time students who also work full time. I have a text from him as bill of sale the day of purchase.

You can't just get a car and start driving. You have to register the car with the State and transfer title and get insurance and plates IN YOUR NAME. You were committing a crime by driving it around without doing this. Get the title in your name and then get insurance and then registration. This can be done all in the same day.
William A. Siebert
William A. Siebert | William A. Siebert
Have you told the police this? Next time you will buy from a licensed used car dealer.
Call cops. File report. Save all records of communication.
Conway Law Pllc.
Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
Well hopefully you got a signed Title to it. If so, you ought to be able to register and insure it.
You have been defrauded, make a complaint to the local police department or prosecutor and provide the evidence that you are a victim. Good luck.