What can we do if the car we bought is not registered and the seller gave fake information? 5 Answers as of April 24, 2013

We paid cash for a used vehicle and my boyfriend was pulled over yesterday and told it was 4 years behind on registration. The car was impounded and is registered under another name, apparently not the seller and not us since we hadn't transferred the title yet. I called the person who sold us the car and he pretended not to know who I was at first then flat out said we didn't have his real name or address. My boyfriend and I are both full time students who also work full time. I have a text from him as bill of sale the day of purchase.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You can't just get a car and start driving. You have to register the car with the State and transfer title and get insurance and plates IN YOUR NAME. You were committing a crime by driving it around without doing this. Get the title in your name and then get insurance and then registration. This can be done all in the same day.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/24/2013
William A. Siebert
William A. Siebert | William A. Siebert
Have you told the police this? Next time you will buy from a licensed used car dealer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/24/2013
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
Call cops. File report. Save all records of communication.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/24/2013
Conway Law Pllc.
Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
Well hopefully you got a signed Title to it. If so, you ought to be able to register and insure it.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 4/24/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You have been defrauded, make a complaint to the local police department or prosecutor and provide the evidence that you are a victim. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: